• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Enya has cancer UD 28/12..back to square one again

maxxev

Mama Doe
if you've read some of my previous posts you will know that my rex , Enya has been suffering reoccuring bouts of gastric stasis. yesterday i recieved the blood test results. the vet explanined the results showed a low white blood cell count but more worrying was the presance of 'hidden'(?) cell that indicate the presance of a tumour. he said that this type of cancer was usualu impossibal to see via an xray or even a scan. the only reliable method of dectection was an explorartory surgry which when performed on the gut is somthing i know rabbits rarely respond well to. he explained that these types of cancer were highly aggressive and tend to reoccur once established in the body. i have waiting untill next week to have a second blood test taken to confirm these results as Enya suffered yet another bout of stasis yesterday.
if the results confirm the presance of the cancer the vet recomended i have her put down. i can't stop crying, my girl's only two years old.

Last edited:
Oh no :shock: :cry:
I assume your Vet thinks Enya has a lymphoma :cry:
I really hope that is not the case

I too have a Rex who is having recurent bouts of stasis/bloat.............

Please keep us posted about Enya, you must be frantic with worry :cry:

Janex

I am so sorry to here this:(
You must be pulling your hair out with worry...when the vet mentioned to me about 'letting my bun go' it made me feel sick at even 'thinking' about making such a decision so my thoughts are with you hun.
I hope the second blood tests come out good for you.
xxx

i just don't know what to do. half the time she is fine. this morning she is almost her old self, scoffing greens and grooming Ki and Pierre but the rest of the time she is obviously in pain. do i put her to sleep now while she is still happy or do i continue to let her suffer bouts of stasis (now every two weeks) for a while longer and let her go when she is in too much pain to continue? i don't know what would be kindest to her.
i love Enya and i know its selfish but i don't want her to go. i want her here with me but i know i don't want her to suffer. im so confused.

i just don't know what to do. half the time she is fine. this morning she is almost her old self, scoffing greens and grooming Ki and Pierre but the rest of the time she is obviously in pain. do i put her to sleep now while she is still happy or do i continue to let her suffer bouts of stasis (now every two weeks) for a while longer and let her go when she is in too much pain to continue? i don't know what would be kindest to her.
i love Enya and i know its selfish but i don't want her to go. i want her here with me but i know i don't want her to suffer. im so confused.

Actually I have just re-read your first post and have realised you said Enya's White Blood Cell Count was *low*. I think with Lymphoma its more likely to be high :?
Now this may be way off the mark but a low WBC count happenes in chronic infections :?
I just hope that *maybe* the Vet was being overly pessimistic. But you know him/her and how Bunny Savvy they are
I just wonder if a second opinion might be a good idea before you make any big decisions :?

Janex

Sorry to hear about your bun :cry:

Can I just second what Jane has said. One of my rabbits was poorly, and the blood test results showed leucopenia (low number of WBC). The vet diagnosed either cancer or a bad infection of some sort.

We never did get to the bottom of her problem, but I suspect it was caused by a heavy worm burden.

Good luck

Amy

Actually I have just re-read your first post and have realised you said Enya's White Blood Cell Count was *low*. I think with Lymphoma its more likely to be high :?
Now this may be way off the mark but a low WBC count happenes in chronic infections :?
I just hope that *maybe* the Vet was being overly pessimistic. But you know him/her and how Bunny Savvy they are
I just wonder if a second opinion might be a good idea before you make any big decisions :?

Janex

Enyas second blood test is booked for monday evening. i will ask the vet about the low blood count...do you know of any test they might be able to do that would reveal if this is caused by an infection or where in the body its located?

"....We never did get to the bottom of her problem, but I suspect it was caused by a heavy worm burden."

i will ask the vet abouta feacal sample as well

"....We never did get to the bottom of her problem, but I suspect it was caused by a heavy worm burden."

Feacal floats don't always show up worms...I'm just guessing really that it might have been worms in our case because she was much better in herself after being wormed (a large number of pinworms were expelled). Before worming she was in poor condition, had runny poops, and spent a lot of time teeth grinding.

Hope you can get to the bottom of Enya's problem.

Amy

Poor Enya, I hope that further tests rule out anything nasty and that whatever she has is treatable. Get well vibes on the way to Enya.

Enyas second blood test is booked for monday evening. i will ask the vet about the low blood count...do you know of any test they might be able to do that would reveal if this is caused by an infection or where in the body its located?

I hope that Enya will get on OK tomorrow
I dont know of a specific blood test to identify possible infection other than what has already been done :?
Please keep us updated about your poor Bun

Janex

the second blood test revealed that her white blood cell count was once again normal and found no trace of the mass cells that would indicate cancer.
while this news is an incredible relief i really don't know what to do. the vet is stumped and was only able to offer the surgestion that her reoccurring stasis was due to an allergy, though to what he was unable to answer.
does anyone know if allergy testing is possibal on rabbits?
does anyone have a rabbit with this sort of allergy, is there an antihistamine type drug suitable for rabbits?

the second blood test revealed that her white blood cell count was once again normal and found no trace of the mass cells that would indicate cancer.
while this news is an incredible relief i really don't know what to do. the vet is stumped and was only able to offer the surgestion that her reoccurring stasis was due to an allergy, though to what he was unable to answer.
does anyone know if allergy testing is possibal on rabbits?
does anyone have a rabbit with this sort of allergy, is there an antihistamine type drug suitable for rabbits?

Well its good news :D but as you say, you are now back to trying to work out what may be causing the bouts of stasis :?
Did the Vet mention where he/she thought the problem may be in Enya's guts ? IE the stomach, the small intestines or the caecum ? :?

As for allergy testing, well IMO I think you could end up spending vasts amounts of money and get no real answers. Also there is the stress factor that endless 'tests' cause for a Bunny. I am in a similar situation with one of my Buns. It is very frustrating and distressing not to be able to get to the actual cause of the bouts of stasis. But I dont feel that for my Rabbit it is in his best interests to keep putting him through endless diagnostics.

Have you tried Enya on just hay and water for a week to see if she remains symptom free? Then introduce one other food type and see what happens.
That is what I am doing with my Bun. So far he has had a week on only hay and water. I then added a few Science Selective Pellets. A few days later I added a tiny portion of Spring Greens. That is as far as we have got and he has remained symptom free *touches wood and hopes not to regret typing that* :rolleyes:

Feel free to PM me any time for some moral support about Enya. I know just what its like to have a Bun who keeps getting poorly and we cant find out what triggers it. :cry:

Janex

Last edited:
Back