• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

de-fleaing and worming

Wispa & Zola

Mama Doe
do you guys do this?

the vet advised me on some things today which were interesting as there was also something about a little parasite that needs a 28day preventative treatment.

one thing that i was shocked by was that the vet said most of the indoor bunnies he treats are de fleaed and all the rest of it and that outdoor ones arent, he thinks that indoor bunnies are better cared for. I have an indoor bunny but i did argue that it depends on the owner and said that i know many people that care for their bunnies regardless of where they live!

I'd punch that vet in the face. My girls are outdoor bunnies, but they are perfectly well cared for. I'd give him a piece of my mind. My bunnies don't have fleas and I am going to get them wormed. I pay for the bunnies completely from my wages. I'm 16 and have a part-time job, so I think I am very committed and dedicated to them.

Actually your vet has a very good point....as a *general* rule indoor bunnies tend to be happier and healthier because they get more social interaction, have a closer bond with their owner and the owner learns more about the rabbits character and behaviour meaning they realise very quickly when something is 'not quite right'.

As for worming and flea treatment, I dont tend to flea treat the rabbits unledd they have a problem but I worm ALL the rescues on arrival and my own rabbits 6 monthly.

The parasite your vet refered to is Encephalitozoon Cuniculi or EC which is a nasty little protozoa which affects the brain and nervous system. Rabbits usually contract it from the mothers placenta at birth or through the excrement of another infected rabbit.

Many rabbits carry EC without ever showing symptoms but for those that do the effects are devastating. There is research to suggest 50% of domestic rabbits have been exposed to EC spores at sometime in their life.

E Cuniculi causes the following symptoms (this is not an exhaustive list):

*Head Tilt
*Catarcts and eventual blindness
*Urinary Incontinence
*Hind leg paralysis
*Chronic and recurrent Bloat/GI stasis
*Excessive drinking & urination PLUS weightloss secondary to renal failure
*In severe cases eventual death

These symptoms may be present in any number and any combination.

yep that is what he was on about but he said lots of long words! do you treat your buns for that?

I have a leaflet to hand that says you use Lapizole to treat it.

I'm thinking about doing my two - Lucifer is most likely a carrier/has it as she has a cataract & I worry :lol:

Actually your vet has a very good point....as a *general* rule indoor bunnies tend to be happier and healthier because they get more social interaction, have a closer bond with their owner and the owner learns more about the rabbits character and behaviour meaning they realise very quickly when something is 'not quite right'.

As for worming and flea treatment, I dont tend to flea treat the rabbits unledd they have a problem but I worm ALL the rescues on arrival and my own rabbits 6 monthly.

The parasite your vet refered to is Encephalitozoon Cuniculi or EC which is a nasty little protozoa which affects the brain and nervous system. Rabbits usually contract it from the mothers placenta at birth or through the excrement of another infected rabbit.

Many rabbits carry EC without ever showing symptoms but for those that do the effects are devastating. There is research to suggest 50% of domestic rabbits have been exposed to EC spores at sometime in their life.

E Cuniculi causes the following symptoms (this is not an exhaustive list):

*Head Tilt
*Catarcts and eventual blindness
*Urinary Incontinence
*Hind leg paralysis
*Chronic and recurrent Bloat/GI stasis
*Excessive drinking & urination PLUS weightloss secondary to renal failure
*In severe cases eventual death

These symptoms may be present in any number and any combination.

Just too add the 28 day is treated with pacacur,its a paste in a syringe and is 1 graduation for every 2.5kg of bodyweight,rick

yep that is what he was on about but he said lots of long words! do you treat your buns for that?

I use Panacur oral liquid because it works out cheaper for treating multiple bunnies. The dose for this is 0.2ml per kg of rabbit.

Top treat one or two rabbits I would use the Panacur paste which comes in a syringe making administration easier. Each syringe despenses 18 'graduations' and the dose rate is one graduation per 2.5kg of rabbit.

The active ingrediant is Fenbendazole which is the same as in Lapizole but from what I have heard Panacur is more paletable and easier to administer.

Panacur can be brought online for far cheaper than the vets as it is a non-prescription treatment.

Last edited:
I use Panacur oral liquid because it works out cheaper for treating multiple bunnies.

Top treat one or two rabbits I would use the Panacur paste which comes in a syringe making administration easier. Each syringe despenses 18 'graduations' and the dose rate is one graduation per kg of rabbit.

The active ingrediant is Fenbendazole which is the same as in Lapizole but from what I have heard Panacur is more paletable and easier to administer.

Panacur can be brought online for far cheaper than the vets as it is a non-prescription treatment.

I dont no if im wrong but on the leaflet it says 1 graduation per 2.5kg of weight,rick

Back