• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boys meet new Girls - Bonding: does it work?

Witchy

Warren Scout
I have two boy french lops and I have been offered two mini lop girls. I have been thinking of getting them some friends and now I have the chance.

My hubby is convinced the boys will refuse to bond with the new girls and wants me to not have them, thinking they should go to a new home together.

They lost their mum three weeks ago and are about 4-6 months old (uncertain). I imaging they will need to be neutered before they meet the boys but surely this would be good for them to spend time adjusting to their new home. They will live in the house until the bonding is complete and then join the boys.

I really need some good, honest experienced advice. Is my hubby right, will they not bond, should I not have them? There is plenty of room for them in the 12x4ft hutch and run unit kept outside and it would give the boys somebody else to huddle to? I really want to rehome them and give my boys new friends.

Help.... :?

Last edited:
They can definitely bond. There is no reason that they will not. The girls will have to be spayed. I think it is best to have them inside all winter and wait until spring to bond and put them outdoors in the warmer weather.

Thanks for your views. Yes, I was going to keep them in until the cold weather passes and then they can start bonding. It will be better for them to be in after they've been spayed too won't it - would be cleaner.

I was going to bring both girls and boys into my kitchen diner and just let them have the freedom to roam, letting them bump into each other and meet how they like etc.

Are there any tips on bonding, ways to increase the chances of a good bonding etc?

Yep, my boys were done during the summer. They are very chilled out boys, looking almost bored lol hence the thought of getting them some mates...

Yep, my boys were done during the summer. They are very chilled out boys, looking almost bored lol hence the thought of getting them some mates...

Ahh i see :D

Right, i would def get the girls spayed before you try any bonding as their hormones will just get in the way and they may fight with eachother over the boys! :shock:

But once they have been spayed, and have had time to settle down from the op i think its a good combination to have and theres no reason why it wouldnt work :D Bonding may take some time though but will be well worth it in the end

I think it sounds like a great idea. Lots of people have groups on here and if you think about it, it's a more natural arrangement. My bf and I have a group of 5, Three boys and two girls and it's really nice seeing them all interact.

You'll need to bond them carefully I'd imagine and they'll need to work out a heirachy but once it all settles I'm sure they'll love having girlfriends. :)

Thanks Dee, did you have to bond yours together, whats the reactions like with each other, does or can it get really nasty? Do you have to just leave them to it...?

Bit anxious about this :shock:

I'm an expert at bonding cats, I have six. Rabbits are a whole new ball game to me!

We put them in a neutral room with lots of distractions and set our selves up some chairs and munchies for us and kept an eye on them for most of a day. I find a towel useful for breaking up any scuffles, just chuck it over them.

I found the girls to be the most trouble the boys were already bonded (as yours are) and they were pretty relaxed about it all.

Thanks for your advice guys, unfortunately I've taken too long and somebody else has been lucky in rehoming the girls....

Back