• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tellngton TTouch Training

foxyfaerie

Mama Doe
http://www.ttouch.com/

Has anyone used this - on any animal? I read in "Rabbits for Dummies" that it can be good for "issues such as excessive fear" - since Nyx suffers from (what seems like) everything-anxiety I thought this might help; but before I ship a book over from America would like to hear other people's thoughts first?

Got a TTouch book for myself, and i have tried an ickle bit on my pooch. She seems to be very calm when its been carried out......so i recon it works

The intent of the TTouch is to activate the function of the cells and awaken cellular intelligence - a little like "turning on the electric lights of the body."
Sounds like total rubbish to me.

I think it probably works well with animals like horses that are generally tethered so they can't move away & gradually get used to your touch. Circular massage is more soothing than plain stroking so I think buns that are very used to human company as well would like it (I know my sooty likes a massage) but I don't know whether it would work faster on a nervous bun than any other way of increasing contact.

Like Jeremy, I'd be suspicious. A quick look at their website suggests that they provide no mechanism by which this is meant to work (ie they just say 'wow, we have discovered this amazing thing and you have to do it EXACTLY like this but we don't know why')

They also appear not to have tested whether 'TTouch' works better than 'spending a lot of time with your dog/horse/rabbit/human stroking them'. I believe that this would be a good thing for a dog and possibly a horse ( I know nothing about horses), DEFINITELY a good thing for humans, and a good thing for SOME rabbits. I have known rabbits who I wouldn't consider doing such a thing to though.

We have a lady coming into to work to do some of this on our stressed dogs.
She's a reflexologist in her day job, and does TT for animal charities.
Some of it sounded strange to me - particularly with the cats that didn't like to be touched. She did the TT through the glass of their kennel :shock: :shock:

Sounds like total rubbish to me.

TTouch has made a massive difference to one of our dogs that went from very stressed to being a "normal" dog! He would never have made the progress he has without TTouch. For example, he hated being touched around his face, now he loves it and often offers his head to be touched. He now loves being touched everywhere and even nail clipping is no problem anymore.

He deals with stressful situations much better than he used to and he is generally much more settled.

Vera

I think it probably works well with animals like horses that are generally tethered so they can't move away & gradually get used to your touch.

The whole point of TTouch is that the animals CAN walk away!!! An animal should not be tethered when TTouch is done as it has to be the animals choice as to whether they want to be touched or not. The thing with TTouch is that in time, the animal will chose making contact with the owner/practitioner, they will chose to be touched because they become comfortable with it.

TTouch is not a conditioned response as no rewards are used other than feeling more comfortable. So it is not a matter of getting used to the touch as such (though that is probably happening too), it is a matter of being touched being comfortable as it makes the animal (or person!) more relaxed and settled in general.

It works... it has made a huge difference to one of our dogs.

Vera

She did the TT through the glass of their kennel :shock: :shock:

Sorry, that doesn't make sense... if animals don't like human touch, it is normally started by using a feather which gets them used to the idea of having something on their fur... Gradually the animal will chose to be touched as it makes them feel good!

Works on people too, by the way!

And I'd have no hesitation of using it on rabbits... in fact, I intend to do that with one of my really shy ones that doesn't like being touched. I am sure he will benefit from it.

Vera

TTouch has made a massive difference to one of our dogs that went from very stressed to being a "normal" dog! He would never have made the progress he has without TTouch. For example, he hated being touched around his face, now he loves it and often offers his head to be touched. He now loves being touched everywhere and even nail clipping is no problem anymore.

He deals with stressful situations much better than he used to and he is generally much more settled.
I have no problem believing that stroking and massaging your pet makes them feel more relaxed, and desensitises them to being touched. But that's hardly rocket science is it?! ;)

It's all the usual rubbish about "cellular intelligence" (come again?) and how it accelerates healing that annoys me.

I have no problem believing that stroking and massaging your pet makes them feel more relaxed, and desensitises them to being touched. But that's hardly rocket science is it?! ;)

It's all the usual rubbish about "cellular intelligence" (come again?) and how it accelerates healing that annoys me.

I wouldn't necessarily use the words cellular intelligence (though there is something called memory cells too, which noone can actually explain what they are, though there is no doubt that they exist...), but yes, TTouch can accelerate healing! My vet was well impressed when he watched the results of a friend of mine doing TTouch on a guinea pig that they had in for observation! The fact that stimulating the nervous system correctly can have massive effects on a physical as well as psychological level is no rocket science either... ;)

Vera

I wouldn't necessarily use the words cellular intelligence (though there is something called memory cells too, which noone can actually explain what they are, though there is no doubt that they exist...),
I'm afraid you've lost me. What memory cells? Memory of what? Can you clarify your point a bit for me. :oops:

but yes, TTouch can accelerate healing!
Can it? Has this been proved or is it just people's impressions?

My vet was well impressed when he watched the results of a friend of mine doing TTouch on a guinea pig that they had in for observation!
My vet was extremely impressed with Sparkle's turn around in 24 hours. I didn't do anything to her. This is the problem with measuring results by subjective impression.

The fact that stimulating the nervous system correctly can have massive effects on a physical as well as psychological level is no rocket science either... ;)
Well I'll certainly concede that stimulating the nervous system could cause physical and psychological effects, but whether those effects are beneficial at all is another matter. Where are the tests that show this?

I don't know enough about the subject to make a statement one way or the other. All I can say is that the website ticks all the boxes of unsubstantiated twaddle. If they can show it has been tested properly then fantastic :thumb:

I found TT Touch far too confusing and rigid. However I can only say positive things about massage for my rabbits. I feel as though the time I spend stroking them is now more 'effective'. I mean, that the rabbits seem to enjoy it more, relax more and also show signs of pleasure such as gentle teeth grinding, flopping out and licking more commonly during massage sessions compared to normal contact or stroking.

Let us know how TT Touch goes for you, maybe I will give it another go with more patience!

I'm a fan of TTouch, although I've seen more progress using it with my dog than the rabbits. The best way to learn is to be taught by someone, if you look at the TTouch website it will give you a list of training classes.

You could also get a copy of Chandra Beal's fabulous book The Relaxed Rabbit: Massage for Your Pet Bunny which you can get from Amazon.

Back