• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a new rabbit be introduced to happy twosome?

wingnut

New Kit
I have two rabbits, one male and one female who have been living happily together for a year.

I got one from a local rabbit rescue place (the other was found walking the street) and it was the hardest decision to pick one from the 150+ needing homes. I would love to give a home to more rabbits but not at the expense of my existing spoilt bunnies happiness - has anyone successfully introduced a third rabbit to a happy twosome?

I thought I might be able to give a home to an older rabbit who might otherwise not be offered a home, so it might have a happy last few years. My current rabbits rule the house and garden.

I'd be grateful for any opinions or advice.

I have a happy threesome soon to be foursome that started as a twosome.What a mouthful that was!!!!!The 2 accepted the third but it was a male adding to 2 females so may have been easier than adding to a male female bond. I also have a male/female pair but they are so sweet together i am scared to add to these 2.Sorry if that was no help it just depends on your current buns and if they are laid back or not.Personally i would try adding a male but only because most females can be very territorial around other females

I think it CAN work, but I would leave yourself an opt-out clause (ie, tell the rescue that you would like to offer a home to a bunny, but can only do so if it gets on with your buns, and arrange for a trial period, or something, and then you have to be sure that you COULD give the rabbit back (and try another one) if it doesn't work).

The reason I say this is because, as an adult, I have had 8 rabbits. Four are still living with me, and four have died. Of the four who died, I believe that trying to introduce strange rabbits was a direct cause of the death of two of them (one died of an abcess from a wound that I didn't spot in time, the other died of fly strike which I think was again from a wound that I didn't spot). The one that died of fly strike was very closely bonded with another rabbit, who died shortly afterwards of kidney disease, but it was such a short time after her beloved Ruby died that I think the stress of it brought her illness out.

SO - I would say that old adage, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Perhaps you can take your buns (if they are vaccinated) to the rescue and see if they pick a friend? If you are not an expert bonder, try to get some help from somebody who is (they will be able to say 'yes, there is hope', or 'no, don't bother'). But leave yourself a way out if it doesn't work.

I'm having a little difficulty with my female into male/female combo but I think they will sort out their differences soon (I came home today to find the two offending monsters curled up together in the litter tray)

i started with a male/female pair and added another female. They got on really well. I do now ( over a year since i bonded the 3) get the odd scuffle and chase each other but they dont fight or anything. Its certainly possible but i think it depends alot on the temperaments of all the rabbits involved ;) Maybe find a rescue near you who would help with the bonding so that you know if it doesnt work the rabbit will stay at the rescue or they may be able to try another rabbit if the first one doesnt work. Good Luck! :D

I found it harder bonding a trio, we ended up having to seperate them, then 2 became a 4 and we finally added the difficult bun. Bonding the 5 was much easier than the 3, lol.

Any tips Deelove?? AM trying to bond a 4 (2 male/female pairs) and all was fine until last night the two males began fighting so had to separate them again. Seems to be a mix of those that work and those that dont?? :?

Really good to hear how other people have managed, but I do not think I could introduce the stress to my current pair. I would not be able to bear seeing them unhappy! I got into being a rabbit owner unintentionally because a neighbour found a tiny stray in the street and have now discovered I am far too soft. I've let them completely take over and can't even bear to make them go in their hutch at night. If I thought I had created stress for them, that could even make them ill, I would probably never get over the guilt. I think I need to learn not to take the responsibility so seriously.

I will rethink the plan and build a whole new area where I could take in another pair and keep them separate, but spoil them just as much.

I am having real trouble making the decison about neutering the female too because I feel evil taking away something which is her natural right, but then every time she nests the guilt is really bad because she wants babies and I can't let her have them - like I said I am really soft!

Back