• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor buns

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
I know how important it is for outdoor buns to have a partner for company, was wondering now Liqorice is a house bun if people think it's jsut an importnat to keep them in apirs or rather depending on the amount of time spent with them.

Also do people think this cage is big enough for 2 small buns (nethies, small lops) who get alot of out time. I've been told i'm not aloud a bigger cage sapce wise for my indoor bun so i'm looking at extra floors, either the2 or 3 floor one with plenty out time:)

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_cage/13324

i personally believe rabbits can live quite happily as a single house rabbit as they will be getting to see you alot more then what an outdoor rabbit would, people will probably advise getting a 48" dog crate for 2 indoor rabbits to live in :) their quite cheap got mine for about £35 from ebay its just a tad heavy to carry :oops: took me the whole of 30 minutes to get it up my stairs :oops: lol

HI Kezz:wave:

was wondering the same thing about baby, should I get her a husbun or not? shes currently in a cage that is almost like lickys. but mum as said no upgrade so far:cry: but she gets 10 + hours out per day. personlly I think as long as they are happy single they could stay single, but I know many advice differently;)

Personally I think it depends on the personality of the rabbit, and how much time you are able to spend with them.

When I lose one of mine, I really don't think I will be getting a new friend for who is left behind, so will hope that they are OK as a lone housebun. :(

i can spend lots of time with him now and he's only 10 weeks ayway so to young for a friend yet. I was thinking more down the road i have my fingers crossed about getting accepted to work with elderly i've een told hours can be long an unpredictable so i won't have much time to play with him and was thinking a bunny friend who i've convinced mum we could rescue a girlie in the future would be better for him.

Problem is i'm not aloud to upgrade my 3ft cage he has floor wise but could either get the 2 floor or 3 floor 3ft one from zoo plus and give them out time in the summer aslong as someones in the house to keep an eye on them of course.

I'm not sure if those zoo plus cages are acceptble i'd hate to spend all that money and there not, lol:?

We use those things for guinae pigs.

A house bun can live alone yes, as they getto see you a lotmore than outdoors ones. BUT my main concern with this is they have no one to talk to. Could youlive alone, seeing no one but a bunny allday? It'smypersonal opinion that all animals should have another of their species to talk to if they are sociable animals.

The cage you're looking at is probably only big enough for a base, not to actually keep them in.

I always think, if possible it is best to have a pair of buns, no matter whether they are in or out.
As they will have each other 24hrs a day, they are the same species and also they can snuggle, play and love each other constanly!!! Also it is recommended that bunnies are always kept in pairs as they like to have a companion.
Obviously if you cannot have another bun it is good you have it indoors and spend time with it, but if there is a chance of rescuing another bun (so both single buns with then have a friend), then why not!!!

I don't think that cage is big enough unless it's open all day, in which case you'd be better getting a 3 foot dog crate - but that's only big enough for one rabbit in any case - definitely not 2, even nethies! Nethies are only small but they have tons of energy and love to run about :)

I think single bunnies are perfectly happy with human company - I've got 2 singles outside living as neighbours and they seem very contented too. Main thing rabbits like is routine, exercise and good food - with some toys thrown in :)

I had a single house bun and decided to get him a little girlfriend. It was the best thing i could have done, even though they're in my bedroom and i'm with them loads its nice to know they always have one another. They cuddle in together and groom each other. Its lovely to know that they arn't lonley. would definatley recommend trying bonding!! Not all Buns want company though! some do prefer there own company, so it would be good to find out!

Thankyou for the opinions, my main concern is if i got accepted to work with eldrely im told it's no 9-5 job and i'd hate for him to feel left out. The cage isn' left open all day for one h's not litter trained and my dad would go mental and two he can't move on the laminate flooring yet without doing the splits:roll: he does hvae time in an 8ft run not much right now because of the cold weather or runs about my bedroom when i'm there.

I do feel sorry for him as you can hear the little fella palying with his toys early in the morning when i'm trying to sleep and i think it would be nice for him to have someone to play with when i'm sleeping, busy, not there etccos i don't want him to feel alone:(

How big is a good size for 2 small breeds for a base or time they can't come out i don't have a very big bedroom so i'll need to rearrange things i am still trying to convince my mum to let me add a playpen around the base cage for him bhut i think i'm pushing that abit, will go measure my free space.

Cage size recomendations welcome for a base :wave:

I have a 4ft base, but it's open all day my sister warned me never to reveal this as a 4ft cage is apparently the smallest cage a bun should ever have and I'd be shouted at for such a small cage. *looks shifty*

I can't recomend a size for youthough I'm afraid. I'm terrible at it. I hope someone else can.

And yes, if you're starting work I'd deffinatly get another bun for him as company...providing he will bond.

I have a 4ft base, but it's open all day my sister warned me never to reveal this as a 4ft cage is apparently the smallest cage a bun should ever have and I'd be shouted at for such a small cage. *looks shifty*

mine are outdoor buns, and i have a 4' base too, but it is wide, and has two levels to it (its the thistle hall which is recommended by th rwa), and i also have a run permenantly attached to it.

mine hutch passed a hoemcheck when i adopted a second bun (once i'd attached teh run that was). my two however will soon eb moving into a converted shed...once i convert it.

as for housebuns, sam was a singel housebun originally, then after three months i adopted domino, and you shoudl ofs een teh change in her, despite having to be neutured, and live outsid efrom then on,s he really duidnt carea s she had a husbun to keep her company!

I do feel sorry for him as you can hear the little fella palying with his toys early in the morning when i'm trying to sleep and i think it would be nice for him to have someone to play with when i'm sleeping, busy, not there etccos i don't want him to feel alone

Maybe he is happy playing with his toys....that is what you have put them in there for :) If his playing with his toys it tells me he is able to entertain himself. Should you get another rabbit….they would make more noise not less. :lol:

Maybe he is happy playing with his toys....that is what you have put them in there for :) If his playing with his toys it tells me he is able to entertain himself. Should you get another rabbit….they would make more noise not less. :lol:

good point :lol: I'm home all day and my rabbits sleep and eat their poopys, nibble hay and just laze about doing nothing most of the day - I let them out for an hour's run in the morning, at tea time and just a short one around 10pm before I lock them up for the night. I found that when they have total free range they forgot to eat hay, and hay eating means litter training (put the hay in the tray), so I would always shut them in for most of the middle of the day - but they have got big accomodation and huge litter trays. I wouldn't put a pair in anything smaller than 2x6' area - or two 36" dog crates joined end to end. Problem with accomodation that goes upwards is the ladders take up so much space there's none left for the rabbits.

I think defo better with a friend. Rabbits are social creatures. Imagine if you lived with lots of rabbits but never hung out with any humans. Even if you spend 4 hours a day playing/being with your bun that is still 20 hours they are alone. I think unless you have one of these buns that hate all other buns they should not be alone. Even if they are just sitting next to each other staring into space they have someone to do that with - a companion and they are not alone and if they fancy a game or a groom or a cuddle they have their bunny friend there 24/7.:D Watching my 2 bunnies together has made me realise how important it is for them to have each other - and it has made no difference to my relationship with them - if anything it is better coz they are happier.

I have recently been reading another forum that has another point of view on this, and I can honestly see both sides. It depends on the bun and the situation. But it is not wrong to have one rabbit, it is wrong to have more then you can manage though.

My two arent bonded yet but as Grace is on her own at night etc I feel a lot better now that she has Louis in the Living room with her for company etc. I think if she were on her own all day then I would have got her a friend sooner and would be more stressed about bonding them sooner.

As for cages; I got them NIC pannels on Thursday and I was going to build them a cage each and then make them something bigger when they were bonded but even a small 3 x 2 two level cage came up really quite large so there is plenty of room for both rabbits to be in there together.

Grace is a big bunny so I think two small rabbits would be fine in a small NIC together and you could even make them a run so they can come out of their cage when you are out at work

But it is not wrong to have one rabbit, it is wrong to have more then you can manage though.

Completely agree :D

I have two single buns who will both be outside soon :D Right next to each other though so they at least have some sort of rabbit company :lol: I dont have the space for two more buns at the moment so they will be single until I hopefully find somewhere to live that has enough room :lol:

Where can you buy NIC pannels, can you get them online, think they would be great, oh and i did talk to my mum about making a run kinda thig around his cage she thinks it's a good idea just have to make the room myself:rolleyes:

I had to go out 8.30am till 6.00pm for training so it's days like these i think he would be better of with a bunny friend, when he's been castrated. I cant say he doesn't like other rabbits cos he's 10 weeks old hasn't had the chance yet so i think it's only fair he gets a chance to have a bun friend if e so wishes, Casper was a much happier bun with poppy although he was outside and he's even more friendly than before and it's so sweet watching them together :D

Don't worry though i'm not going in over my head, i'll wait first see if i get acceped for this job (fingers crossed) so i know i can afford another bun and get a rescue girlie, thats a friend for Licky and helping a needy bunat the same time;) :D

I have recently been reading another forum that has another point of view on this, and I can honestly see both sides. It depends on the bun and the situation. But it is not wrong to have one rabbit, it is wrong to have more then you can manage though.

I also recently read some very disturbing and incorrect literature on another forum related to keeping bunnies alone.

Whilst I agree that not every bunny wants the companionship of its own kind and that some do get adequate stimulation and friendship from their human pals some of the 'observations' on rabbit behaviour such as the old gem of 'in the wild...' were very very incorrect.

I also wonder how many people have read the thread and thought its Ok to have a single rabbit because wild rabbits *apparently* live alone so domestic rabbits should too :?

Last edited:
Back