• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive drinking/urination - been to the vet and still worried

lapin

Young Bun
My seven month old mini lop is drinking and weeing an awful lot. He drinks about a litre in 24 hours and I’m having to change his litter tray every day, as it’s completely soaked, even with megazorb.

I took him to the vet today and he gave him a thorough check up. He said he’s not dehydrated or underweight and that he had a full tummy, so he’s obviously eating well. He took a urine sample to test his kidney function and check that he isn’t diabetic. Everything looks fine, he said his urine is concentrated and that his kidneys are working normally. I asked if it could be EC related and he said that he’s otherwise healthy, so it was unlikely. He told me to weigh my bunny every two weeks and said that weight loss is often a sign that something is wrong before any other symptoms appear.

I just wanted to get some opinions from experienced people. Does this seem right? My bunny weighs 1.9 kg and the vet said that although a litre a day is a lot, it appears to be normal for him. My vet does seem to know a lot about rabbits, I just can't help being a bit worried, as I recently lost a bunny unexpectedly and I don't want the same thing to happen to this one.

My seven month old mini lop is drinking and weeing an awful lot. He drinks about a litre in 24 hours and I’m having to change his litter tray every day, as it’s completely soaked, even with megazorb.

I took him to the vet today and he gave him a thorough check up. He said he’s not dehydrated or underweight and that he had a full tummy, so he’s obviously eating well. He took a urine sample to test his kidney function and check that he isn’t diabetic. Everything looks fine, he said his urine is concentrated and that his kidneys are working normally. I asked if it could be EC related and he said that he’s otherwise healthy, so it was unlikely. He told me to weigh my bunny every two weeks and said that weight loss is often a sign that something is wrong before any other symptoms appear.

I just wanted to get some opinions from experienced people. Does this seem right? My bunny weighs 1.9 kg and the vet said that although a litre a day is a lot, it appears to be normal for him. My vet does seem to know a lot about rabbits, I just can't help being a bit worried, as I recently lost a bunny unexpectedly and I don't want the same thing to happen to this one.

Personally I would ask for a second opinion
I had a Bun who drank about as much as yours and wee'd for England
He was diagnosed with Diabetes Insipidus. Weightloss *never* played a part in his symptoms and he always appeared to be 'well within himself'

I would also want to treat the Bun with Panacur as EC cannot be ruled out just because he has no other symptoms

Janex

I actually have the sam problem with Poppy and same hting, vet took a urine sample and said all was fine but suspected diabetes... am waiting for more info now... She has had her jabs and panacur and at first I thought it was becaseu she is now an outdoor bun and it was warm inside for her, hence drinking a lot but Benji was came indoors the same time as her with no similar symptoms :?
So i'm thinking that diabetes could be it...

He was diagnosed with Diabetes Insipidus. Weightloss *never* played a part in his symptoms and he always appeared to be 'well within himself'

Jane - is there anything you know of that can help the bunny if it is diabetes?

I actually have the sam problem with Poppy and same hting, vet took a urine sample and said all was fine but suspected diabetes... am waiting for more info now... She has had her jabs and panacur and at first I thought it was becaseu she is now an outdoor bun and it was warm inside for her, hence drinking a lot but Benji was came indoors the same time as her with no similar symptoms :?
So i'm thinking that diabetes could be it...

Jane - is there anything you know of that can help the bunny if it is diabetes?

My Bun had Diabetes INSIPIDUS, which is different from Diabetes Mellitus

http://www.diabetesinsipidus.org/whatisdi.htm
http://www.diabetesinsipidus.org/di_in_pets.htm

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4546

My Bun, Jake, was treated with Desmopressin

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682876.html

Jake actually made a spontaneous recovery, which apparently can happen with DI

Janex

FAB info Jane!! Thanks :D
Hopefully if it is Diabetes then it can be treated. Think there would be other symptoms in her if it is 'sugar' diabetes (my dad has insulin dependent diabetes since a young age)... and on a hay only diet she may suffer a little when over excerting herself or when given treats she isnt used to.. tho buns are pretty good at knowing what they need :? :D

Thanks for the info, Jane.

My vet tested for diabetes but I'm guessing it was only sugar diabetes, as he said my bunny's glucose results were negative. Would he need another urine sample to test for DI?

The vet did say that his urine was concentrated and reading the info on those websites, unconcentrated urine seems to be one of the symptoms of DI. So could he still have DI even if his urine is concentrated?

How long should I treat him with Panacur? I know it's normally a nine day course as a preventative measure but if it's possible that he could have EC, should I do it for longer? Is it cheaper to get Panacur online?

Thanks for the info, Jane.

My vet tested for diabetes but I'm guessing it was only sugar diabetes, as he said my bunny's glucose results were negative. Would he need another urine sample to test for DI?

The vet did say that his urine was concentrated and reading the info on those websites, unconcentrated urine seems to be one of the symptoms of DI. So could he still have DI even if his urine is concentrated?

How long should I treat him with Panacur? I know it's normally a nine day course as a preventative measure but if it's possible that he could have EC, should I do it for longer? Is it cheaper to get Panacur online?

If his Urine is very concentrated then DI is unlikely.
If EC is suspected then I treat the Bun with 6 weeks of Panacur 10% Liquid at a dose of 20mg/kg ( 0.2ml/kg)
Panacur Liquid contains the same active ingredient as Panacur Rabbit (Fenbendazole). But it is more economical (particularly when treating a lot of Buns!!) and I find it easier to administer an accurate dose.

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=PANL1

:wave:

I had a similar problem with my bun a few months ago. He had also lost litter control but had no other symptoms such as weight loss. He was treated with a two week course of baytril just incase there was cystitis and a 6 week course of panacur (baytrill also seems to help combat EC too). I also gave him a tbsp of cranberry juice twice a day too which helps if it is painful to pee.

He is back to normal now (although it did take about 2 months to get complete control). I am going to worm him & the other buns now on a regular basis.

If his Urine is very concentrated then DI is unlikely.
If EC is suspected then I treat the Bun with 6 weeks of Panacur 10% Liquid at a dose of 20mg/kg ( 0.2ml/kg)
Panacur Liquid contains the same active ingredient as Panacur Rabbit (Fenbendazole). But it is more economical (particularly when treating a lot of Buns!!) and I find it easier to administer an accurate dose.

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=PANL1

Thanks Jane, I'll order the Panacur now. I've just adopted another bunny, so I'll need to worm him too. Do I give him the same dose (0.2ml/kg) but just for nine days?

I'll mention DI to the vet when I take my bunnies for their Myxi vaccination next week, even if it is looking unlikely to be the cause of the excessive drinking. If it's not that and things don't improve with the Panacur, maybe the vet is right and this is just normal for my bunny.

Thanks Jane, I'll order the Panacur now. I've just adopted another bunny, so I'll need to worm him too. Do I give him the same dose (0.2ml/kg) but just for nine days?

I'll mention DI to the vet when I take my bunnies for their Myxi vaccination next week, even if it is looking unlikely to be the cause of the excessive drinking. If it's not that and things don't improve with the Panacur, maybe the vet is right and this is just normal for my bunny.

The dose of Panacur 10% would still be 0.2ml/kg. If your new Bunny has had no contact with your other Bun (this includes not having any access to the same run etc) the 9 days Panacur is OK as a routine 'preventative' treatment. If, however, the Bun has been exposed to a *possible* case of EC I would treat for 6 weeks

Janex

Personally, I cannot overemphasise how important it is to treat for ec.

Our 3 litter trays were drenched and the buns drank sooooo much water....

We recently had Poppy PTS due to ec.... it was a rapid onset and decline. There is less water being drunk and wee in the litter trays... I can only put it down to her longest ec sympton but it wasnt picked up by our vet... :cry:

Back