• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grrr... Cutting bunny claws

vicki267

Mama Doe
Ok, now officially my worst nightmare!

Yesterday I tried trimming Arnie's claws as they are getting quite long but I wasn't able to hold him down without him wriggling away, it doesn't help he has tickelish feet either.

As I couldn't do it on my own I asked my mum to come over today, we tried her holding him down whilst I grabbed his paw but he kept pulling it away, so then we wrapped him in a towel and he still kept wriggling free, at this point the closest I have got to cutting his claws is once lining the clippers up with the claw nearest to me!

I have to take Kira for a check up tomorrow but the vets couldn't fit him in at the same time, it would of cost £7 if I booked double appt. I cant go back at any other time so my mum is taking him at 4:35 tomorrow which is costing us £14 :roll:

Why do rabbits have to be so awkward :cry: He has never liked being picked up so I respect his wishes but with something like this I wish he would just sit still and let us get on with it :?

Is anyone on here an expert at cutting rabbit claws, maybe there are some special tricks to keep him calm so he doesn't care we are doing it?

Last time he had his claws trimmed was just under a year ago at our other vets and he didn't like it much then although they got most done as they are used to doing it :roll: However I noticed that they did leave a few a little long which although isn't long enough to bother him effects his stability on the laminate downstairs which effectively leads out to the garden which then means he is too scared to go to the garden to wear his claws down on his own :shock: :lol:

We only moved in in may and have no funds left for the house and there are still parts of the garden (bottom panel of fence missing) which they might be able to squeeze through, Kira is fine out there as she lets me pick her up if I need to but usually comes running back in when I call her name. :love:

Rabbits..... Who'd have them :lol: :lol:

I find it a nightmare too. I've only managed to do it once in the 18 months I've had them and that was when I'd just got back from the vets so they were a bit shell shocked still. I have to hold Barney on his back (not tranced) and Roxy against me. It is ridiculous, especially with house bunnies.

It fascinates me how strong Barney becomes when I trim his claws. :shock: He's okay with the front ones, he 'lets' me do those in a grdging sort of way, but the back ones! He tuckes his feet right under himself, no matter how he's held, and will not let me gently tug them back out no matter how gently I talk to him... I'm sure trickery was involved last time with the little monster. x.x

Its not easy getting my two sorted it literally was becasue they were dazed from travelling and the vets. I've tried since and he just flips over and hops away :rolleyes:

Definitely use the scissor type cutter designed for birds claws - so much easier to line up in a hurry than guillotine types :) None of my girls have ever needed their nails cutting in 2 years thank goodness as I can't even get near them never mind handle them :shock: Benny is very docile - no problem doing his once I've managed to grab him :rolleyes: Tia used to fight like mad but lucky for me she was a nethie - I couldn't handle a struggling bigger bunny! I used to sit and hold her half against my chest, half lying on my lap, so her back feet were sticking up in the air, and hold her 2 front paws firmly together in my left hand, wearing a glove, and just hope she didn't bite - nightmare :roll:

I can never see why cutting nails is such a palava, I turn mine onto their backs, lay their ears between my knees and hold them that way and then clip - its over in 2 or 3 mins. However mine are used to being turned over for showing so invariably don't bat an eyelid.

Same as Walnutearth. It's very simple. :D

You do need to trance them to some extent, otherwise your bunny could flip over and tear a claw.

Most of my rabbits are fine with having their nails clipped....thank goodness!!! I use the scissor type cutters as well.....they are BRILLIANT! I used to really struggle when using the guillotine type......but with these ones, it's very easy!:D :D

Piper,my bun dosent like going on her back, i wrap her in a towel and put her on her back and stroke her and talk to her gently and quietly till shes calmed down then i keep doing that and just get 1 lil pawsie out at a time, that works for me neways! :)

Its a two man job for me. I also use a towl, i find this stops them kicking out those masive thumpers and wriggling onto their front. I have them wrapped in a towl and between my legs while by boyfriend take one foot out of the towl at a time.

Afterwards they look so offended it hilarious, but you know they feel better in the end!

Well mum took Arnie to have his claws cut yesterday and would you beleive he was a good as gold :roll:

At least he had a full check up whilst he was there.

A little embarrasing as I didn't check him over before mum picked him up as I was in a hurry to get to work. He had some poo stuck to his bum :oops: which is very odd as he never has poo stuck there, typical it's when I dont get a chance to check him :roll:

Back