• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syringe Feeding & poo update

Brennan

Alpha Buck
Sorry for another thread I am looking to attract some tips on syringe feeding my bunny

I have been giving him antibiotics once a day for 2 weeks now and that isnt so bad because it's once a day I can battle it out..

However he is not eating so I am having to syringe feed him but he HATES it

I have just given him approx 3ml of science recovery - not too well though, he bit the syringe several times, pulled it out of my hand and tossed it to one side... He is very bossy like that!

How does everyone else manage

Last edited:
I put it in their fave treat. I find apple is easiest. Use a sharp cutting knife to pre-drill holes in the apple slice. The slowly insert the antbx into the holes leave to soak for a bit so its absorbed. then put in food bowl and leave him munch. If you watch too much he might get suspicious. As long as he is hte only one that has access to it thats fine.

I recognise your lovely bunny :wave:

Last edited:
:wave: yes we are,

I have had to give up on my journal as Bunny is so Poorly :cry: I have been up all night with him trying to get him to eat, he had surgery on Monday for his abscess and he wont eat so I am hand feeding him :(

Hi :wave:

When syringe feeding I wrap a towel around them so that just their head pops out and they can't wriggle free. Then just place the syringe at the side of the buns mouth , just behind the incisors (front) teeth. I usually give just under 1ml at a time dependant on the size of the bun.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

yeah I have tried the towel method that just seems to frustrate him and I have less grip on him... I am doing kinda what you said - side entry behind his teeth, a hell of a lot ends up on his 'beard' so I wondered if he was 'spitting' it back out.. he is a willfull chap, he is only 5 months and hates to be 'held' at the best of times, just due to his bossy personality :lol:

Oh no poor bunny. :( ((Hugs)) I hope he feels better soon and heal up fine. xx

Thanks hun, he is really really poorly :( I showed him a pic of Darcy though you gorgeous bunny - he liked her he said !

eta - ooops Darcy is a boy! I have a niece called Darcy sorry!! :oops:

When I've had to syringe feed I've mushed up some of their regular pellets in boiling water from the kettle, cooled with a bit of fruit juice (you need a special feeding syringe or cut the end off a normal one and file off the sharp edge) then I've done the towel thing but kneeling on the floor with the rabbit between my legs - it can't back out of the towel then and there's a thigh on either side so they can't do much at all. I hold their front paws together or hold the front of their body if they're wrapped up, and lift it up so they're standing on their back legs against my body - If you then bend forward you can see their mouth directly so it's easier to get the syringe in the right place and not choke them. It is very hard though - hope he's OK soon.

That's a shame. It is defo the easiest method I have found as it keeps their paws tucked in so they can't kick up a fuss. I wrap the towel around bunny so that just his/her head is popping out and then criss cross the towel over across the neck/back so they are nice and tucked in, then just plonk them on my lap with their bum against my tum and put the syringe in the right hand side of their mouth.

Hugs to Thumper,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi Elve :wave:

I was just telling Princesscarly1978 about your bun with the abscess that was treated with metronidazole.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

That's a shame. It is defo the easiest method I have found as it keeps their paws tucked in so they can't kick up a fuss. I wrap the towel around bunny so that just his/her head is popping out and then criss cross the towel over across the neck/back so they are nice and tucked in, then just plonk them on my lap with their bum against my tum and put the syringe in the right hand side of their mouth.

Hugs to Thumper,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I might be brave a try that its more of a swaddling!!! He will see the towel though he is so naughty!!! He wiggles free then sits in the corner and thumps! The only way I can do it on my own in lay a towel on my bed, then pull him tight into my arm and then feed him from behind, he doesnt seem to wriggle free that way, but he likes to bite the syringe... He is just sick of all the medical care he is getting bless him.. I caught him staring out of the window the other day, I asked him if he was thinking of leaving home!!!!

Hello :wave:

Yes it is like swaddling :lol: They look so sweet with just their heads popping out and they can't struggle free. Makes things so much easier and less stressful all round :D

Nicola and Harvey xxx

:( I just gave bunny another 'feed' but it worried me as he was trembling :( is that just a sign on discomfort or fear or just uncomfortable-ness? I am so worried about him at the moment :cry:

What i find the easiest is to craddle them like a baby, just wrap the hide legs in the towel. Then put one hand over thier head gently, thus covering thier eyes and they just seam to relax. Then i just feed them with the sringe with the other spare hand, but remeber not to uncover thier eye untill you have fully finished.

m
xx

Last edited:
I try to do that as much as I can like 'hold' and soothe him but he is really breaking my heart at the moment :(

yes bless him :( he had metacam on Monday and today he had a Vertegestic ? pain relief, sorry the vet did tell me what it was, it is like morphine for bunnies :(

The pain relief from Vetergesic will only last for about 6 hours.
My Vet says Metacam can be given *aswell as* an opiate like Vetergesic. Also, the recommended dose of Metacam is now *higher* than previously thought to be 'safe'. My Vet says doses of up to 0.6mg/kg can be given

Janex

The pain relief from Vetergesic will only last for about 6 hours.
My Vet says Metacam can be given *aswell as* an opiate like Vetergesic. Also, the recommended dose of Metacam is now *higher* than previously thought to be 'safe'. My Vet says doses of up to 0.6mg/kg can be given

Janex

so his pain relief has worn out :( she said metacam lasts a few days I know it isn't as strong but that will help I guess :(

Back