• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutered Rabbits

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi 2 of my male rabbits have been neutered and i am going to get them from the vets later today. I was wondering if there is anything i have to look out for that may happen between them as they both live in the same hutch (which has been moved into a warm place as i have been told they have to be kept warm for 5 days).

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51537 has excellent information about after care of rabbits. Boys do usually recover far quicker than girls.

Check before you leave the vet that they have been given metachlopramide and also a pain killer. My advise is keep them warm, check their wounds daily, provide as bowl for water (and a bottle if they usually have one), lots of nice little healthy treats to temp them to eat again and their normal food. A nice soft towel or vet bed to lie on.

Keep an eye on to ensure they eat and drink and poo and wee. If they are not drinking by tonight syringe a small amount of water, if they are not eating give them some critical care or wet normal rabbit food which has been made into a puree through a syringe. Hopefully they will start eating tonight, if not by the morning.

If they are not eating by the morning do consult your vet, you may require another gut stimulant injection and some more analgesia.

You just need to make sure that they are eating, drinking and pooing.

Your vet should have given them pain relief (check when you pick them up) before they come home.

Then just keep them warm and comfortable, offer some of their favourite veg as well as plenty of hay and pellets.

When I had Billy neutered, he was his old self the next day

Keep an eye on the wound aswell as when Oscar was neutered he washed them too much and they got infected I stayed up for 48hrs to make sure he wouldn't lick. They couldn't put a collar on as he wouldn't eat. My others were all as good as gold an no problems what so ever!

Back