• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wee!

Wispa & Zola

Mama Doe
I know that Rabbit wee isnt supposed to be white but what colour is it supposed to be???

Wispa just did a wee that is yellowy but looks a bit thick (almost mucusy) (sp)

does this sound healthy??? she is eating pellets, veg and occasionally hay and as she is only 17 weeks old she has an endless supply of food!!!

I think it can vary depending on what they eat. I got in a panic with my bridge bunny Gracie as I thought she was bleeding as her wee was very red. I managed to scoop some up and rushed it down to the vet, and they said it was perfectly normal.

I find with mine if they have a lot of brocolli or other similar veg then it can get quite sludgy and thick. The colour also varies depending on the time of day.

:)

Last edited:
She needs to have hay all the time.

Bunny wee does vary, but if it's gritty it might indicate too much calcium in her diet. What veg do you feed?

It's difficult to tell from your description, but but do you mean thick and sludgy, or is it really mucous?

In my experience calcium is better out than in, so very watery clear urine is more of a problem than slightly sludgy urine. Obviously really sludgy urine with the consistency of toothpaste is not a good sign.

Amy

If your feeding foods high in carotene that will make the wee redder than usual.

Foods like curly kale and brocolli are high in calcium and if fed too much can be excreted in the urine giving a pasty appearance.

Is she getting enough water and hay? (alfalfa hay is high in calcium too) ;)

yup she is having broccoli and its thick and pasty rather than mucus!

she has hay avaliable to her all the time but doesnt eat it as much as she eats pellets.

Back