• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in Garage

Jennie Wright

Warren Scout
Hi, what do people think.

I have four rabbits which I am having trouble keeping dry in this weather, my husband has just sold his car so I have the option of putting them in the garage during the bad weather. The garage is huge so would have plenty of room for their hutch/underneath runs. Do you think this is a good idea. I am at work all day so they won't get much daylight. The garage has a window but would this be bad for them?

At present they are only out in the garden at weekends which would still happen but wondering if having them in the garage all day is good or bad. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Hi Jennie

Mine are kept in the garage and its the best option I've ever used for them! Its so much easier to spend time with them and clean them out, especially as we have a sink in there too.

The only difference is mine have access to an outdoor run attached to the garage so they can go out any time using the catflap. However, they only seem to go out really early in the morning or late at night. They stay in and sleep most of the night anyway (I have piccies of the set-up if you want to see).

As for daylight, our garage has very little other than light which comes through catflap or through the garage door. I personally don't see this as a problem since they should live in burrows anyway :lol: :lol:

Its great in winter on an evening because I just leave the cage open and the the light on and they run around all night until I go to bed.

Lian xx

Thank you thats sounds good, would love to see your pic if you don't mind? Must admit its been pretty challenging cleaning them out in the rain, I have been soaked ..... Need I go on ah!! Pls send some pics

Here you go.

Their cage in the garage:
Cagesideview.jpg

Run attached to garage:
runmats.jpg

runopen.jpg

Then on a weekend and summer light nights, I have this pen on the grass which they can play in:
picture2.jpg

picture1.jpg

mine live in the garage too as their are foxes round my area.

P19-04-07_13-3.jpg

P19-04-07_13-2.jpg

P19-04-07_13-1.jpg

P15-05-07_14-2.jpg

P15-05-07_13-9.jpg

P15-05-07_13-8.jpg

jus added some piccies to let you see. the buns do get free run of the garden when its dry but the rest of the time they are in thr garage with their runs and hutches.

fi x

i want a garage too:evil: :evil: :evil:

took me 3hrs to clean mine and the rescues last saturday in the poring rain . had to change my coat twice cos i was soaked:evil: :evil:

had planned a garage in the summer but then couldnt afford it :( :(

Aww all these garages seen to have alot of light.

Im really worried about my buns like most people are with the weather and have been thinking about putting them in the garage to keep a bit warmer.

I put a cover over the hutches at night but im still worriesd for them.
Only problem is is it more cruel to put them in the garage with little light than it is to have them in the cold? (i dont expect the garage is very warm but it's water tight. :oops:

My sisters rabbits are kept in the garage, it's much warmer and easier to clean just wish I could use my garage for all my bunnies but theres too much stuff in it. My sister has to keep them in the garage because of foxes.

Back