• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Abscess

Brennan

Alpha Buck
If anyone can share their stories about their experiences with Bunny abscesses I would be really thankful, especially nasty eye ones :(

My poor bunny has two one in his cheek and one behind his eye (we think) he has had surgery to have the abscess on his cheek brided, but sadly he may need to have his eye removed if there is one behind it to have the same treatment :cry:

Hi Carly

I have a one eyed house rabbit who had her left eye removed due to a retrobulbar abcess.

I am afraid her eye was removed before she came to me so I cannot comment on how she was treated but I just wanted to reassure you that if his eye does have to be removed it will not be a huge inconvenience for him or affect his quality of life.

Lexie has spent 3 years as a one eyed rabbit and as long as we remember that she has a blind spot on her left hand side and do not approach her with out talking to her from that direction she is fine. The only other problem she has is with distance perception, she will run into you instead of up to you as she does not realise the distance she is covering.

All in all she is a happy, friendly and affectionate rabbit and most people will not even notice she has a 'disability'.

Welcome to the forum by the way :wave:

Thanks for all your stories, his abscess is much better today but sadly he wont eat, I am updating my other thread - I just wanted to bump it for more stories x

Hi Carly

My bunny had one of her eyes removed yesterday due to an abcess and infection. She is much brighter in herself so I am feeling pretty positive about it. She has been really poorly and this is the best I have seen her since I took her to bunny hospital, hopefully she will be out by xmas.

How is your bun doing?

Back