• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange noise coming from my bunbun?

enzosmum

New Kit
Hi,

I have a 6 month old male Lionhead and usually he doesn't sit still for a minute and hates being stroked, groomed and picked up although we do try everyday to get him to be a bit more friendly.

Today however, I was sitting in his pen with him and he stopped for a munch on some hay and I started stroking his head and behind his ears and he sat there for ages and let me! I couldn't believe it so then I started stroking round his mane (which he usually hates - normally he tries to bite if I touch this bit) and he let me do that too. After about 5 mins (back behind the ears again) he started making this funny vibrating noise from his teeth (I think).

I'm not sure if he was scared of me or not cause his ears were laying flat on his back but he did seem very relaxed - he lay down and was closing his eyes as I was stroking him.

Does anyone know what this vibrating noise means? He was also making a kind of gnashing noise as well. This is my first bun so I'm really concerned that I was frightening him - has anyone else ever heard this?

Last edited:
Thanks thats good to know. He's never been very friendly he just likes running around and eating usually. Thats why I was a bit concered because its strange behavior for him but he did seem to be calm.
Perhaps he does like me after all! :D

aw he's purring his contentment at you - must be lurrve :love: maybe he likes his 'bit' being touched after all :D
They'll do it sometimes as they snuggle up and you'll see the mouth grinding - NOT to be confused with pain grinding mind... this is more a constant and sometimes louder noise and his behaviour will change too. With happy purring he will look all spaced out too and it will be intermittent ... so sweet :D

Whens the wedding? ;)

Its made by them gently grinding their teeth together and is a sign of contentment.

He thinks you are grooming him and may even start to like you back after a while. If he nuzzles your hand thats a request to be 'groomed'.

Rabbits do also grind their teeth as a sign of pain but this is very loud and intense and not like the noise you are describing.

sorry, I didn't mean to say his "bit" I meant to say his "mane" - the tufty thing under his chin. haha!

It wasn't the loud grinding noise you mentioned. I heard this once before when he was at the vets with a sore tummy and you could just tell he was in a lot of pain then. The noise today was more of a gentle noise.

Aww, Enzo loves me I'm so chuffed, I've tried so hard to get him to trust me. I dont think he was handled much before I got him and he still refuses to be picked up (unless its his favourite vet Katy whos picking him up, then he is putty in her hands!).

sorry, I didn't mean to say his "bit" I meant to say his "mane" - the tufty thing under his chin. haha!

:lol: I did think you meant his mane but just assumed you called it his 'bit' as his feature :D

Glad he loves his mummy :D

Back