• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccination amnesty

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Who doesn't have one or more of their rabbits vaccinated?

All of mine are up-to-date with myxi (except Dixie, who will be having his asap). However 4 of my 9 rabbits have NOT had their VHD vaccinations.

Their VHD will be done when I get chance to take them (probably Xmas holiday).

IMO This doesn't make me evil or neglectful, just rather disorganised.

Does anybody else have a confession to make??????

Amy

Note....This is not intended to cause an argument :D

Mine are all up to date.

Vaccinations are a choice by the owner so no, I don't think it makes you evil if you decide not to.

However if you plan on getting them done, I wouldn't put it off. Plenty of people have been caught out by over due jabs and I guess it's a pretty bad feeling to know that you could have saved your bun if you'd had them done on time :(

Tam

Muffin is done both Myxi and VHD and Molly is booked in for hers on Thursday (we only got her yesterday). I'd have them done anyway regardless but I'd be a hypocrite to not vaccinate our own pets when we insist on them for any boarders.

No confessions here, mine are all up to date and always will be. It is a personal choice as to whether you want to vaccinate your rabbits but if you are intending on doing it, I don't think disorganisation is any real excuse!

Everybun is vaccinated against Myxo and Smudge and Dudley need their VHD but the other 4 have had it. I'll probably get it sorted this week or next.

Mine are all up to date. Cloud just had his Myxi jab, and we'll try bonding him with Sunnie next week, so his VHD jab will be postponed until early January.

well as sadly chelsea is still recovering vet siad to wait before she has her next set of jabs is up to date with annual but not her 6month one for myxi.... bless her the myxi was very bad on her lots of lumps but most of them have fallen off now only meds she on is eye and she has fought it so hard such a good bunny... i will post piccs of her recovery in stories after xmas when we know all lumps gone and she 100%better.... dont want to tempt fate hence the lack of recent photos from me!! :) (for those who dont know she is 9.5 so it seems to take her longer to fight it off)

My current two are up to date on both their myxi and VHD vaccines. The two rabbits I owned before them never had either. Nor did they die of either disease. I DID ask my vet when I got my first rabbit, about 9 years ago now, if I should vaccinate her - and the vet told me there was no point, and he had never done so for any rabbit in this area. Knowing no better, I took his word for it - I never had any reason to distrust him, never really thought about questioning... When I got Barney, last year now, he had been vaccinated against myxi by the rescue, but not VHD. It was only in November (I'd adopted him in May) that I got that done. It wasn't money that was the issue, but because the rescue had not done so, and had made no mention of me getting it done... but then he was a bit off colour, and I became convinced he had VHD, it was all my fault for not vaccinating him against it, and that he was about to keel over and die. :oops: Well, overdramatics come easily to me... Since then, both him and Amber - and any rabbit I own in the future - will be vaccinated against both, just to keep my anxiety down and give me peace of mind!

I don't believe not being vaccinated makes any bunny owner evil, or neglectful at all. None of the rescues I visited this year when looking for a friend for Barney had their rabbits vaccinated against both myxi and VHD. I just like to be prepared for any possibility. ^^

well as sadly chelsea is still recovering vet siad to wait before she has her next set of jabs is up to date with annual but not her 6month one for myxi.... bless her the myxi was very bad on her lots of lumps but most of them have fallen off now only meds she on is eye and she has fought it so hard such a good bunny... i will post piccs of her recovery in stories after xmas when we know all lumps gone and she 100%better.... dont want to tempt fate hence the lack of recent photos from me!! :) (for those who dont know she is 9.5 so it seems to take her longer to fight it off)

She's 9.5 and is recovering from myxi? ^-^ What a star! She must be a very special bunny.

Mine are all upto date :angel:
A word of warning to Nottingham owners. THere is a note at my vets stating that they have seen a lot of Myxi buns so to get them vacd :D

Mine are up to date, but have yearly myxi vaccs on the advice of the vet. I do wonder about the use of the myxi vacc for me as I decided on seeing what rabbits go through with this awful disease that if either of mine get it I'll have them pts. I guess I hope the vacc will stop them getting it although I know this isn't always the case :?

Mine are up to date with both - although mine are only having Myxi jabs yearly rather than 6 monthly.

Mine only have myxy vacs every year also. I get them done in the spring to cover them during the summer fly season. Not sure if I should get them done every 6 months, it seems a bit excessive :?

Mine only have myxy vacs every year also. I get them done in the spring to cover them during the summer fly season. Not sure if I should get them done every 6 months, it seems a bit excessive :?

Until recently my vets said myxo should be yearly but now they say 6 monthly because the vaccine doesn't provide adequate cover for a full year.

Mine are also done in the spring. My vet did say that it can be done 6 monthly but since my area is low risk [he sees a lot of rabbits and can't remember the last time he saw a myxi case] he recommends yearly [but won't stop me if I changed to 6 monthly]

I used to get mine done yearly but our vets have recently sent six monthly reminders for myxi as they've had quite a few cases in the area. She also said that the vacinne companies are now recommending six months.

Back