• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Argh, totally worried about bun run size now:(

daisylou

Warren Scout
I posted earlier asking for people's opinions about a hutch for outside and I am very grateful for all the advice saying it was way too small.

My problem is that until recently my buns were free range. The nethies never ate anything. However, I got another bun when my last female nethie died (I was told she would stay small but she hasn't). She has chewed through cables and my leather suite and skirting boards. I have tried to bunny proof rooms but it just hasn't been practical.

I currently have both in a run from the argos squares - it is 6' by 4'8".

I don't know what breed Bluebelle is - a little bigger than my old dutches. When I had my dutches they had a huge outdoor run and hutch - but I don't live in the same house anymore.

I am thinking about putting my buns out next spring and will happily get them something built as big as they need. I don't want them to go out just now as they haven't grown winter coats and Bojangles is 5 and a half and has never lived outside so I am concerned about him going out even in the warmer weather.

I have always felt semi knowledgeable about my buns but I am really concerned that I am mistreating them (even although not intentionally).

Can someone offer me some more advice or put my mind at rest.

Sorry for the 2nd similarish mail when people have already taken time to reply.

Thanks very much

hi - i have just replied to your other thread. i have indoor buns and they are in a 48" dog cage and are free range only when i am at home (due to path of destruction :shock: ) or if i go away and someone feeds them etc for me i attach this run from zoo plus:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/pens_fencing/35639

i agree with waiting for spring to put them out. do they srtill have supervised run abouts indoors atm or stay in the run? have they got lots of toys and bits and bobs to keep them busy?

Thanks for your reply.

My buns have so many toys it is ridiculous. They could put my friends kids to shame:D

I haven't allowed them to run around on their own since I moved house as they did so much damage to my other house.

Maybe I should start supervised free runs to see how that goes.

Thanks again for taking time to reply to me:)

yes, if you are in the room watching telly or something they could have a zoom and binky around and you can keep an eye on them. Mine are destructive but as long as i am there i can stop them doing stuff - it is when I have a bath and come back in that I often find one of them 'innocently' sitting on the sofa with holes in the cushions! You can never tell with buns can you - sometimes they are really well behaved and sometimes they are monsters!:D

Back