• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Territorial Female

Lspacehopper

Wise Old Thumper
We have an adoption rabbit in at the moment. She is about 24 weeks old and is very territorial about her cage, to the extent that she has bitten a couple of members of staff. We have someone interested in her and they have a neutered male (housebun) who they adopted from us some time ago. We've got her going in to be spayed tomorrow and are hoping that it may improve her temperament.

Anyway, my question is this. As she is a little bit stroppy, what are the chances of her getting on okay and being bonded with a young man?

Could it just take perseverance and patience with the bonding?

I would give her at least a month for her hormones to subside before considering her for bonding.

Most aggressive rabbits I have had have bonded easily after neutering with another laidback rabbit and if the other rabbit is also of sound temperment I have seen the aggressive rabbit improve in approachability too.

We have an adoption rabbit in at the moment. She is about 24 weeks old and is very territorial about her cage, to the extent that she has bitten a couple of members of staff. We have someone interested in her and they have a neutered male (housebun) who they adopted from us some time ago. We've got her going in to be spayed tomorrow and are hoping that it may improve her temperament.

Anyway, my question is this. As she is a little bit stroppy, what are the chances of her getting on okay and being bonded with a young man?

Could it just take perseverance and patience with the bonding?

There is no reason that this female once speyed cannot be paired up with a neutered male. The one consideration which must be taken when pairing up this bun is that any introduction must be on on totally neutral territory and as far away from her territory as possible. I have bonded quite a number of territorial females without any problems.

Given love and attention, her hormones should diminish and hopefully this territorial behaviour should settle after a period of time following neutering.

I would give her at least a month for her hormones to subside before considering her for bonding.

Most aggressive rabbits I have had have bonded easily after neutering with another laidback rabbit and if the other rabbit is also of sound temperment I have seen the aggressive rabbit improve in approachability too.

The couple are keen to have her, but as their boy is a housebun, his scent will be all over their house. Do you think we'd be better off keeping her with us once she's recovered until the month is up?

They do have a tiled bathroom which we've discussed about them using to do the bonding. I guess a good clean down will get rid of his scent if there is anything there for her to smell.

Back