• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny questions! Winter coats and bonding!

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hi everyone!

Well I haven't posted any annoying questions for a while and obviously having withdrawel symptoms so here goes!

Spudsey (wild bun) and Squirrel (non wild potential mate) had a successful trip last week to Paulas bunny boarding who kindly put Spudsey up in her front room and Squirrel in the garden. So a huge thank you to her!

Now the shed is ready so I am attempting to bond them this week at long last.

Squirrel is in the kitchen and Spudsey in the lounge, I have let her in the kitchen once where Squirrel chased her and she hasn't braved it since. Now I'm not sure whether to plonk her in there with him or not.....I'm fretting basically!

So if all goes well this week (feeling very doubtful) then they can go into the shed at the weekend. It feels kind of warm in there but I'm particularly worried about Spudsey because I don't think she has a winter coat? Squirrel is starting to get an extra layer of fur on his nose (!) but thats it.

Hope someone can stop me fretting!
Suzanne

Hiya, don't worry about the chasing, thats normal. It will be less troublesome (fingers crossed) on neutral territory.

As for the winter coat, Spudsey probably won't have one so may well be too cold out there but I only have indoor buns so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice there.

Good luck bonding!

Hiya, don't worry about the chasing, thats normal. It will be less troublesome (fingers crossed) on neutral territory.

As for the winter coat, Spudsey probably won't have one so may well be too cold out there but I only have indoor buns so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice there.

Good luck bonding!

Thanks Isabel, the kitchen is quite neutral, I let Squirrel in there for a run around but all he does is still in one corner!

Suppose the only thing I can do with regard to the shed is make it as warm as possible, I'd like to get snugglesafe but I guess you need a microwave to warm it up and I haven't got one!

If you can invest in a couple of Snugglesafes (or install some sort of heating) they should be OK outside.

When it's really cold, I put heat pads in with my lot in the day, Inky feels the cold terribly (even though he likes to sit in the rain). You could also try putting curtains up at the windows, I've done this in my playhouse and I was shocked at how much warmer it is in there at night.

RE: Bonding, I generally put them both in neutral territory, usually the hall, and see how they go. I find little and often, tends to work better. They may surprise you, Inky and Smokey were love at first sight, yet I was so nervous about putting them together.

Good luck!

If you can invest in a couple of Snugglesafes (or install some sort of heating) they should be OK outside.

When it's really cold, I put heat pads in with my lot in the day, Inky feels the cold terribly (even though he likes to sit in the rain). You could also try putting curtains up at the windows, I've done this in my playhouse and I was shocked at how much warmer it is in there at night.

RE: Bonding, I generally put them both in neutral territory, usually the hall, and see how they go. I find little and often, tends to work better. They may surprise you, Inky and Smokey were love at first sight, yet I was so nervous about putting them together.

Good luck!

Hiya!

Think my Nan has a spare microware so I could borrow that and get a couple of snugglesafes to be on the safe side...good idea about the curtains too!

Spudsey has been a bit better at being handled since she has been back from the boarding so may put her in there for a little while...shes been ignoring poor squirrel for most of the evening!

:wave: snuggelsafes are excellent and i reckon that Spudsey will defo feel the cold coz Nettle is indoor and has a non cozy coat (is even moulting a bit at the mo!). Also it has also got really cold here today and its made me remember how bitterly cold winter is. But am sure you can insulate the shed and make it all cozy and warm with hay and blankets and snugglesafes and stuff.

There is really good info on here on bonding:
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp

Back