• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns are off to the vets too *updated*

GemmaH

Mama Doe
Well Jess one of my cats has been at the vets all day having an x-ray and biopsy of her jaw and now I've had to book the buns in for when I collect her. Honey has some staining around her nostrils that looks like her nose has been running and more worryingly Jasper is mouth breathing.

My New Year's resolution is to start a contingency fund, the cat alone is costing £186 :shock: !

Will post a pic of Jasper in the photos folder as Kathryn asked me what mouth breathing looked like and I thought it might help someone.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in updating, haven't had much chance to get near the computer this week!

The vet diagnosed early Pasturella infection and gave them a Baytril injection plus some more for in their water and both seem fine now.

Thanks for all the good wishes sent!

Gemma's pc has broken so she's asked me to post to ask for some advice.

Jasper has been back to the vets and has a further 10 day course of Baytril. He is no better and is still mouth breathing. She's not sure what next to do. Our vets are not particularly rabbit-savvy so any advice for when she goes back would be gratefully received

Gemma's pc has broken so she's asked me to post to ask for some advice.

Jasper has been back to the vets and has a further 10 day course of Baytril. He is no better and is still mouth breathing. She's not sure what next to do. Our vets are not particularly rabbit-savvy so any advice for when she goes back would be gratefully received

Oh dear :cry:

It would appear that Jasper may have a mass in his chest cavity, possibly a Thymoma

http://www.rabbit.org/health/thymoma.html

http://www.rabbit.org/health/thymomastory.html

I would get Bun to a Rabbit Savvy Vet ASAP as mouth breathing means the Bun is suffering :cry:
A conscious chestXray should determine if the problem is a mass and then an informed decision can be made as to what would be best for Jasper.

If it is not a mass but chronic infection then a more suitble antibiotic than Baytril should be prescribed

Poor Bun :cry:

Janex

Is there any way of determining what infection Jasper has and which antibiotic it would respond to best?

If it is pasteurella, has he had enough baytril so far to help or would further baytril be of any use. As you can appreciate Gemma doesn't want to spend tons of money on inappropriate treatment by a vet who isn't sure what to do next...

Karen is the best bunny vet at the practice and I've suggested Gemma requests her when she goes

I haven't got any advice but just want to send some vibes to you and Jasper. Hope you find out what's wrong and he can be treated.

Is there any way of determining what infection Jasper has and which antibiotic it would respond to best?

If it is pasteurella, has he had enough baytril so far to help or would further baytril be of any use. As you can appreciate Gemma doesn't want to spend tons of money on inappropriate treatment by a vet who isn't sure what to do next...

Karen is the best bunny vet at the practice and I've suggested Gemma requests her when she goes

Baytril can be effective in treating Pasteurellosis but it often requires a long course ( 6 weeks, maybe more )
My concern it that Jasper is mouth breathing and this is a very poor prognostic sign :cry:It is also a sign of a Bun in considerable distress :cry: The Bun is mouth breathing as they cannot get enough air into their lungs :cry:they will feel as though they are suffocating :cry: Sorry to be so blunt :cry:

http://books.google.com/books?id=pv...Wb&sig=z7J8eT_mJSc3kyTzAZqh-7OG6nQ#PPA1956,M1

My Vet would prescribe oral Septrin or, more likely Depocillin Injections, if treating for a suspected severe lower respiratory tract infection. There are also the long acting Tetracyclines ( Oxytetracycline LA).

Is Jasper maintaining his weight ?

Janex

I don't know Jane whether he's keeping his weight up. He's not a particularly big Frenchie in the first place which is odd as Honey is massive and they were from the same breeder, although not the same parents. I'll pass on your suggestions to Gemma, thankyou :)

I don't know Jane whether he's keeping his weight up. He's not a particularly big Frenchie in the first place which is odd as Honey is massive and they were from the same breeder, although not the same parents. I'll pass on your suggestions to Gemma, thankyou :)

It could also be a cardiac problem. You say he is much smaller than the other Frenchie from the same breeder which is often the case in Buns with a congenital heart condition. His respiratory distress may be due to fluid in his chest cavity. If this were the case then Diuretics would make him feel a lot more comfortable.

I would advise Gemma to get a conscious chest Xray done on Jasper ASAP.

Janex

Quick update from Gemma:

The vet checked Jasper over, there is no sign of infection so she doesn't feel further antibiotics will help. His heart sounds fine. However his lungs don't sound good and she feels he has permanent lung damage from the infection. He has had a long acting steroid injection which, if it is going to help, there should be an improvement in the next 5 days. If Jasper improves then he will have a course of steroids. If he doesn't then Gemma may have to consider pts as Jasper's quality of life isn't very good at the moment. He is obviously in some distress - although he is eating, he's not enthusiastic about his food as he used to be, and he spends most of his time sitting upright trying to breath :( The vet said if he were human he would be on permanent oxygen.

Because of his small size Gemma and I are wondering if there is something he has had from birth to cause these problems....

Please send all your vibes and thoughts to Jasper and Gemma for an improvement in his condition. Jasper is a gorgeous rabbit - if anyone can remember he was the cutey sitting in his food bowl who appeared in Bunnymad Magazine - and it is such a shame that he is so poorly.

Poor Jasper :cry:

Is he still on abx? Steroids will significantly impact on his immune system and any latent infection may then kick back big time :cry:
My Vet would only use steroids as a last resort, as appears to be the case for Jasper :cry:, but would also give covering abx

Janex

I'll pass that on, Jane, thanks. He's not on abx as the vet said they could sometimes cause more problems. I think Gemma realises Jasper's on his last chance :( fingers crossed he shows some improvement.

Please can you send hugs to Gemma for me. I hope Jasper isn't too uncomfortable and that the vet is able to do something.

Back