• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buffy - Ear Abscess/Depocillin question?

bunnytales

Mama Doe
Howdie - told you I had some bundles of trouble at the mo.!

Buffy has had antibiotic Beads implanted following two previous ops to remove Abscess growth - good news today was that two out of the three implanted beads have done there job and there is no further puss in the cavities -

However, I found a small lump at the base of her ear over the weekend, my Vet has lanced it this morning and found that it is another Abscess -

How treatable is an Ear Abscess folks? - my Vet mentioned that due to the location of Buffy's there is a real danger that it will progress into her Ear Canal and cause balance problems - so it might be worth considering call things a day for her:cry: :cry:

She is such a strong little bunny, such a shame that she has come through soooo much during the past months only to be hit again by another dreaded Abscess.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Lany X

Last edited:
Is the abscess easy to get to Lany, so many good reports of using manuka honey on top of medication has worked wonders, is the abscess in a place that you could fill the cavity with manuka?

Is the abscess easy to get to Lany, so many good reports of using manuka honey on top of medication has worked wonders, is the abscess in a place that you could fill the cavity with manuka?

- Howdie Denny - Bunny Trouble here!

Deborah my Vet says that at the moment as the Abscess is newly lanced that she wants me to work on keeping the wound open - to encourage a puss to come outwards rather than in (hope you've had your tea!!)

I certainly used Manuka honey with Buffs Eye Abscess and it really did help - plus she loves to lick my fingers as a treat for being a good girl afterwards:) :)

I'm planning now to keep her as comfortable as possible - at the moment she is enjoying life and being with her mate Cagney and eating of course:lol: :lol: - she has now had five ops for various Facial Abscess and I feel now enough is enough and I can feel she agrees with me:(

Tonight she is curled up with Cagney in front of the Radiator - so charmed life or wot:lol: :lol:

so we will enjoy our Christmas together and see what the new year brings.

She's such a strong bunny so may suprise me yet;)

ooohh you got Deborah hope Lany? excellent reports of her, she will be my back up should I ever need one;)

Sorry to hear this Lany but I know where you are coming from, its really difficult when to know enough is enough:( Cannot remember who it was on here but one of their buns abscess started to burst on his own so maybe there is hope at the end of the tunnel Lany;) her body may start tackling them on her own.

Anyway, have a good Christmas and just put it to the back of your mind and just enjoy every moment of Buffy bun ;)

Sending lots of bunny hugs your way, my little guy has 2 abscesses he is fighting at the moment. I know how hard they are and you sound like you have really been through it :(

Sending lots of bunny hugs your way, my little guy has 2 abscesses he is fighting at the moment. I know how hard they are and you sound like you have really been through it :(

Thanks Carly -

It always sorta helps when someone is in the same situation:(

Just wish I understood why this darned Abscesses just seem to pop up - Buffs had already had an Abscess problem around her eye area but then for one to start just below her ear on the other side of her face too - just don't understand why:(

But so far she is bright in herself - she is also on Engemycin Injections so I'm hoping these might keep the problem at bay too.

Sending snuggles to your furies X

ooohh you got Deborah hope Lany? excellent reports of her, she will be my back up should I ever need one;)

Yep she is great, one of the other bunny Vets Graham is also very good if you happen to have a problem and Deborah isn't working.

Have a great Christmas too Denny & a bostin New Year

x

I had a buffy as well - she is at the bridge :(

I am in the same place as you, we have no idea why bunny has these abscesses, he has one on his eye which is a really iffy place to get one and also one on his cheek under his eye :( He has had them debrided twice now but we have had to stop as he wont eat :(

I don't know why our little ones get these awful awful ailments I have beaten myself up something cronic over it, at first I thought he had nudged his bunny pen up and it fell on his nose, but now I kinda think my cat may have scratched him :( which is so annoying as they are never together but one time he escaped :(

We have only been dealing with this for 2 weeks and you think you have turned a corner only to be told NOPE :( I know exactly how 'draining' it is for you, and especially at Xmas as well...No one understand more how sad that part is for you x x

i too know how you are feeling as i my bunny has had her eye removed to remove the abscess behind it. 7 weeks later the abscess is back!!! i am trying some antibiotics recommended by frances harcourt brown in the hope this will shift it as well as the usual flushing. I have thought alot about how far i should go with this but for now i am going to do all i can and hope for the best. It is so draining and such a worry, we want the best for our bunnies and abscesses are just a cruel cruel thing for then to get.
good luck;)

Two of my bunnies had ear abscesses. They were lanced several times, we used penicillin injections, flushed them daily etc. At first it worked, but eventually they came back as quickly as they came. So it was decided to operate on them. It turned out that the abscess was not actually at the base of the ear as it was thought, but actually in the middle ear. My vet removed the whole abscess and some of the ear canal and created a new entrance to the ear.

Unfortunately one of my bunnies succombed several weeks after the op and died - she was however well over 8 years old and not in good condition before the op.

My other bunny, Sunny, however is thriving since the operation and the abscess has not come back at all so far.

Vera

Howdie Folks, thanks so much for all your help and advise here for Buffy.

She is due back at the Vets on Thursday for a Post Op check for the bead Antibiotic above her eye and a check on and advance regarding her Ear Abscess.

Can any of you kind folks tell me if you have used Depocillin Injections rather than Engemycin - and did you feel it was any more sucessful and any side effects etc.

My bunny savy vet did try this with Cagney for her Jaw Abscess but unfortunately Cagney went straight into Gut Statis and my Vet had a couple of other instances of this with other bunny patients - but just wondered if the swap to Depocillin might help slow things down any:roll:

I used Depocillin and as mentioned, it did work at first. There were no side effects at all, though I did use it in conjuction with Fibreplex.

Vera

I used Depocillin and as mentioned, it did work at first. There were no side effects at all, though I did use it in conjuction with Fibreplex.

Vera

Thanks LurcherGirl -

I have some Fibreplex at home so will use some of this to help if the Vet agrees to swap Buffy over to Depocillin.

I have used Depocillin. I would not administer it to a Bun without also giving Questran now

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

Has the Vet suggested using a Cephalosporin abx like Cephalexin. This is less risky re gut dysbiosis than Penicillin. Cephalexin also has good tissue penetration *including bone* so is useful for head abscesses in Rabbits

Janex

Thanks so much Jane, I'll take the details when I see Deborah on Thursday and keep you all posted.

Back