• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Clinic - Bristol/sad news

bunnytales

Mama Doe
Howdie Folks,

Well after a long run of Heathy Bunsters, I now seem to be making up for things and I have all three with one problem or another.

Zac is the biggest worry at the moment, he has had a really bad Gut Statis problem - he has been xrayed and they found nothing, a urine sample revealed that he did have a bladder infection.

Zacky boy is currently on the following Meds:-

Metaclopramide
Zantac
Metacam
Infacol

He is getting about and pooing quite well, drinking etc but his stomach just baloons - especially after he has eaten.

My bunny savy Vet has referred him to the Rabbit Clinic in Bristol for an appointment on Wednesday -

Have any of you guys any experience of similar problem stomach problems - its not really true Statis as food is going through but obviously not properly.

Also any experience re the Rabbit Clinic - I suspect they may want to take more up to date Xray's so I'm guessing it might be a full day job.

Awwwwwwww bunnies - think I'm gonna have goldfish next time.:roll:

Last edited:
I had a lot of issues with my rabbit Caspian who we sadly lost last months. He suffered continuous bouts of bloat and stasis, there is a lot of info in this thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108779&highlight=caspian

Jane is having similar problems with her bun Dermot at the moment.

Myvet suspected a growth or Pyloric Stenosis with Caspian.

Hiya Sooz, Thanks for the reply.

Zac was fully xrayed with additional ultrasound a week ago which were clear with the exception of a little impaction which was squishy so our Vet was hoping with the help of meds this would work its way through.

So I'll bet the Bristol Clinic will want to do more Xrays on Weds.:(

Hi Lany! :wave:

Can't really help I'm afraid but just wanted to say hi and how sorry I am to read about poor Zac and Buffy :(.

Fingers crossed for the poorly bunsters and hope you get some answers.

Hiya Sooz, Thanks for the reply.

Zac was fully xrayed with additional ultrasound a week ago which were clear with the exception of a little impaction which was squishy so our Vet was hoping with the help of meds this would work its way through.

So I'll bet the Bristol Clinic will want to do more Xrays on Weds.:(

Sadly Pyloric Stenosis will only show up under surgical investigation :cry: a growth however should present on ultrasound. I was told Xrays would not show a clear tissue mass.

Hi Lany:wave: sorry to hear your having bunny troubles, they are never easy:( I had X rays sent to the Bristol Clinic for their opinion, they were great and responded alot quicker than I thought they would have time for:D I would of thought that your vets would send his X rays down rather than you go through more but perhaps they have X ray machines that are more advance than most vets do:?

Going back to Zac's poo's, are they small/hard or contain any fur?

Going back to Zac's poo's, are they small/hard or contain any fur?

Hiya Denny;)

Zak had complete Statis bout 3 weeks ago when his gut stopped all together, however now he is producing reasonably sized poo's - no fur at all in them, look reasonably normal.

Its really strange, almost as if when he eats his stomach blows up:( :( - and he obviously becomes more uncomfortable - although does'nt appear to be in dire pain - he is on Metacam at the mo.

I'm really worried about the Bristol Trip tomorrow although don't feel I have much option right now -

My Vet mentioned that she thought they might want to re Xray him as from 3 weeks ago things could have changed but I worry about the extra stress of doing this, also like most bunny mums I don't want him pulled about for the sake of it - if you know what I mean.

So I guess we will see what happens:( - will keep you posted.

You wouldn't believe what we have done to the car to make the journey comfortable for him - talk about a bunny limo:lol: :lol:

Well I've got to say I was well impressed, they were really brilliant at the Bristol Clinic.

Zak (despite his early alarm call at 6.00 am - to have him fed and ready for 7.00 am leave) was really relaxed during his two hour journey - we had a little break inbetween when he could stretch his legs in the back of the car and have some hay and water - told you we'd ordered a Bunny Limo:lol: :lol:

On arrival we were seen promptly by Sandra Wenger who is the new RWF Resident and also a main Vet and 4 x Students onlooking - Zak felt well important I can tell you:lol:

They went through all his history supplied by Deborah our Vet from 608 but really did feel secondary Xrays would be beneficial as Denny mentioned - their Xrays are much more indepth and they look at more areas.

Zaky has been hospitalised now until Friday for further tests but I felt comfortable (only slightly - did have a cry I must admit) at leaving him in their safe hands, the unit he will be kept in is a bunny only unit so no cats or dogs and he is monitored every three hours 24/7 - It is mega expensive but thank heavens for Insurance!!! - Petplan certainly won't be making any profit out of me this year:lol: :lol:

One of the final year students observing was really lovely and when the Vet popped out to get consent forms she came and gave Zak some fuss and reasurred me how much care they would take of him - now there goes a good Vet in the making;)

Just pacing the floor now waiting to hear updates re First Round of test etc so will keep you posted guys and gals;)

Fingers crossed everything goes well for you both :D Sounds like he is in the best possible hands.

All fingers, toes and paws crossed for you Lany, keep us posted;) Glad your worries were eased abit, he is stopping with bunny lovers so I would imagine he will be well spoilt and cuddled:D

All fingers, toes and paws crossed for you Lany, keep us posted;) Glad your worries were eased abit, he is stopping with bunny lovers so I would imagine he will be well spoilt and cuddled:D

Awwww such sad news guys, we had our special boy pts late yesterday:( :( :( - and we are devastated at his loss.

The Bristol Clinic were absolutely wonderful - following full xrays and ultrasound they found our lovely boy to have a mass of inflamation fluid in his tummy, probably caused by a Tumour - also his Liver was very inflamed and to top it all they found the start of Pneumonia on his lungs - probably due to the massive strain on this little system with trying to burden the extra weight in his tummy.

The only way to know for sure re the Tumour was to do surgery, but the added problems and the knowledge of knowing he was unlikely to pull through told us to do the kindest thing for him.

We were'nt with him but the lovely team assured us he would have no end of cuddles and a goodnight kiss from his mum.:( :(

We have give permission for a Post Mortem - although hard to do, we feel it will be Zac's way of giving something back to help future bunnies - and help the new student Vets coming through with Diagnosis.

I will post at Rainbow Bridge when I feel able.

Luv

Lany

So very very sorry Lany:cry: :cry: :cry: He will always hold a special place in alot of peoples heart who remember where he came from and you bunnynapping him on the bunnyrun that you did which helped many. It was meant to be that Zac never reached his final destination as he had already found it with you. Big hug to you Lany

Run free Mr Zac bun xxxxxxx

Awwww such sad news guys, we had our special boy pts late yesterday:( :( :( - and we are devastated at his loss.

The Bristol Clinic were absolutely wonderful - following full xrays and ultrasound they found our lovely boy to have a mass of inflamation fluid in his tummy, probably caused by a Tumour - also his Liver was very inflamed and to top it all they found the start of Pneumonia on his lungs - probably due to the massive strain on this little system with trying to burden the extra weight in his tummy.

The only way to know for sure re the Tumour was to do surgery, but the added problems and the knowledge of knowing he was unlikely to pull through told us to do the kindest thing for him.

We were'nt with him but the lovely team assured us he would have no end of cuddles and a goodnight kiss from his mum.:( :(

We have give permission for a Post Mortem - although hard to do, we feel it will be Zac's way of giving something back to help future bunnies - and help the new student Vets coming through with Diagnosis.

I will post at Rainbow Bridge when I feel able.

Luv

Lany

So very sorry :cry: :cry:

Janex

So very sorry.
I know its little consolation right now but you did the best thing for him :(

X

Back