• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing?

Miloe's_Mum

Alpha Buck
Fae has been sneezing continously over the last day and night :? I've checked her over and there are no signs of myxi or anything (they are both vaccinated and live indoors).

Is it normal for a bun to sneeze alot or should i get her into the vets? :?

Thanks

Fae has been sneezing continously over the last day and night :? I've checked her over and there are no signs of myxi or anything (they are both vaccinated and live indoors).

Is it normal for a bun to sneeze alot or should i get her into the vets? :?

Thanks

Hi, i would probably get her seen at the vets asap, especially if you have other rabbits. Sneezing (in the worst case scenario and unfortunatley all too common scenario) is normally caused by the Pasteurella virus and although not curable it is treatable with anti-b's, it is however highly contagious and a zoonose (i.e contractable by humans). Does any white mucus appear when she is sneezing? Also sneezing can be caused by a change in the environment, has anything changed (i.e have you dusted or used air freshener recently?)

Or she might have a bit of hay stuck up her nose :roll: I second getting her to the vet as soon as possible though :) Hope she's ok!

Hi everyone,

Its def not wet sneezing, nor does anything come out of her nose. Its little sneezes she does (sorry, very hard to describe!) and she has 'honked' a couple of times.

When she's done she'll rub her paws over her nose - if this makes sense too?

It does sound like she has something up her nose, but her hay hasnt changed or anything and they are thick strands of hay?

What other signs should i look for if it is something serious?

Hi everyone,

Its def not wet sneezing, nor does anything come out of her nose. Its little sneezes she does (sorry, very hard to describe!) and she has 'honked' a couple of times.

When she's done she'll rub her paws over her nose - if this makes sense too?

It does sound like she has something up her nose, but her hay hasnt changed or anything and they are thick strands of hay?

What other signs should i look for if it is something serious?

Any wheezing at all? 1 of our buns started off exactly the same as yours (dry sneeze) but then progressed to sneezing out thick white mucus, this was confirmed by the vet as pasteurella. It will be diffcult for you to diagnose the exact problem at home so take her to the vet where they will check her breathing as well as for tear duct infections. As mentioned by a previous poster it could also be an allergy, but you definatley need to rule out the pasturella as it's such a common problem. :(

Any wheezing at all? 1 of our buns started off exactly the same as yours (dry sneeze) but then progressed to sneezing out thick white mucus, this was confirmed by the vet as pasteurella. It will be diffcult for you to diagnose the exact problem at home so take her to the vet where they will check her breathing as well as for tear duct infections. As mentioned by a previous poster it could also be an allergy, but you definatley need to rule out the pasturella as it's such a common problem. :(

Thank you.

She is booked in at the vets so will let you know the outcome.

Where do they catch pasteurella from?

Dry sneezing can be caused by dust. Hopefully it will clear up within a few days.

However, as leong has said, it *might* progress to proper snuffles. Snuffles is often (but not always) caused by Pasteurella bacteria.

Most rabbits carry Pasteurella, but never show symptoms. It is thought that it is usually transmitted from mother to kits, although it is occasionally contagious between adult rabbits.

Snuffles can also be caused by other bacteria or dental disease.

Dry sneezing can be caused by dust. Hopefully it will clear up within a few days.

However, as leong has said, it *might* progress to proper snuffles. Snuffles is often (but not always) caused by Pasteurella bacteria.

Most rabbits carry Pasteurella, but never show symptoms. It is thought that it is usually transmitted from mother to kits, although it is occasionally contagious between adult rabbits.

Snuffles can also be caused by other bacteria or dental disease.

Great info, thank you :D

Gosh i hope she hasnt got pasteurella :( I've just been reading through some past posts about it and it sounds awful :( Is it something i may have done wrong also and this is why she has it?

My Buttons started sneezing lots a couple of weeks ago. Her nose was wet but there was no mucus or anything. She was also breathing heavily. The vet didnt think it was Pasturella but thought it was a lung infection. She has been on Baytril for 2 weeks now. Her sneezing stopped almost instantly but her breathing is still not good. Shes back to the vets tonight.

My new bunny Lolly has been sneezing a lot :( Lionel has never sneezed so i had a bit of a shock when she started doing it), we are going to vets tonight so I am praying it isn't pasteurella or anything like that, she was meant to be having myxi jab tonight poor little mite :(
Let us know how you get on x

Back