• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UPDATE on litter of 10! More questions!

Nixz

Young Bun
Hi
Well all 10 bunnies seems to be doing well, there are 2 white babies that are holding on but very frail - fingers crossed for them x :cry:

They have opened their eyes and have started to venture out of the nest, they are 2 weeks old. We had to move the nest out of the pen and into the hutch as they were escaping and ending up in the strangest of places!

At what age can i start handling them?
WIll my scent on the babies disturb daisy now they are a bit older?
Daisy is a house rabbit and is very cuddly, she doesnt seem to mind us touching the nest at all, but obvioulsy i dont want to cause the babies any harm.

Also, can i leave them with Daisy until 8 weeks? If i seperate them at this point, will they start to eat bunny food and hay themselves?

Once again, sorry for ignorance, i have looked up this information but dont find it as useful as the advice i receive from you guys! :wave:

I would give them another week before handling them fully. 8 weeks is the minimum time to leave them with mum, personally I think 10 weeks is ideal unless she starts to get obviously fed up with them.

They should start to wean themselves from about 3 weeks and most are fully onto solid food by 5 weeks.

You will need to sex them at around 8-10 weeks and split the males from the females at about 12 weeks.

Thanks very much - they are getting rather smelly though so i will be cleaning their nest again today, just removing some of the wet newspaper.

Back