• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

shed vs hutch

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
ive been talking to my mum about getting a shed for Crystal and misty to live in but my mum thinks a hutch is better but im not sure if i agree after all this terrible weather surely a shed would be more weather proof? we have a shed at the moment but the roofs caving in and the bricks are falling apart so its deffinatly not safe to house a rabbit in. i just want others veiws on what would be better, theres a place near me who has 6x4 sheds for £99 so its cheaper then the happyhutch and probably more weather proof.

my other idea was a dog kennel but there quite expensive £500ish

all opinions welcome :)

by dog kennel did you mean like a huge dog shed???

i had one for my ferrets and it was amazing there was so much space and so much you could do with it, if i was having an outdoor bunny id definately use it for them.

I only have an indoor bunny but id rather use a shed that a hutch because of the weather and the ferret shed was fantastic in the rain and totally weather proof.

I've revently got a shed, and I have to say I perfer it LOADS to a hutch! Esp in this weather where it offers more inside space and protection :D

There's loads of photos of it somewhere!

Hannah

deffo sheds all the way here too!.

You can actually get inside and sit with the buns!!!!!!!

can be much cheaper

keep the buns drier than a hutch.

:D

Id def say shed or playhouse. That way you can build shelves and ramps etc and anything else you like in there too!

I used to have a hutch/run combo and found it really hard work so would defo opt for shed option or similar! Those dog kennels are fab but expensive so depends on your budget.

I moved mine into the garage with access to an outdoor run and it was the best thing I did! Its brill cleaning them out under cover and means I can spend much more time with them in winter too.

I have a shed for two of my buns and a dog kennel/run for the other two.
Its much nicer being able to sit inside with them.Even better when its raining too:D

I've got both and the shed is nicer to see to in bad weather, although it does get hotter in summer as it's not easy to shade it and I can't leave the door open - the hutches are on top of run so the concrete base is always nice and cool. The shed's more interesting for the bunnies in bad weather though as there's more room for toys, chairs to climb on, boxes to destroy etc.

I have a combination of both hutches a dog kennel sheds with runs all covered. One is 12 x 6 and the other is 10 x 6. I love the dog kennel runs but they werent cheap :D

thanks for all your veiws il be showing this to my mum when she gets in ;) yes the shed will have a run attached :D i also love some of the dog kennels but theres no way i can afford one so looks like if i can persuade my mum a shed will be my option :D

I knew when I cleaned one of my rabbits hutches out in the wind and rain last week that a shed was the best option, all the shavings blew everywhere and made a right mess of the patio!

moving mine into a shed in the next week...fingers crossed!

I have a Wendy House with run attached. A cat flap allows them to go in and out to the run when they want and can be locked of a night to keep them nice and safe.

As everyone else says, much better in this bad weather to clean them out and sit in there and cuddle them.

well my mum is still saying no to the shed :roll: but we've agree'd on a playhouse (4x4) with a run attached... hopefully this will be getting done in the summer :) and im hoping i can find a bonding expert in Newcastle who can help bond Crystal and Misty :oops: i panic easy when i put them together and separate them after 2 minutes :oops:

That is good news. The wendy house I have is where I actually finally successfully bonded my two as I could sit in there with them in the wind and rain and make sure that they did not fight. I have a light in mine too now and it is great, so much easier than a hutch.

I have a Wendy House with run attached. A cat flap allows them to go in and out to the run when they want and can be locked of a night to keep them nice and safe.

As everyone else says, much better in this bad weather to clean them out and sit in there and cuddle them.

Same setup as me then even the cat flap:lol:

Back