• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To Spay or not to spay?

nemmie

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,
So my lil Peanut is now around 5 months. We got her around thre 20th of Oct and were told she was 10-12 weeks even though she was tiny. So she is coming up on 5 months now. She displays signs of maturity i.e. circling, humping etc etc and i know many of you have had your bunnies spayed before the 6 months that vets advice and was wondering if i should do the same. Peanut is a Dutch/Nethie cross and she weighs 1.4kg at the moment. My vet said he is happy to spay her but generally it is advised to wait until she is 6 months. I really wanted to get her done before we go on holiday in Jan but I am worried I am putting her little life in danger by doing so.
So I have 2 options
1. Have her spayed around the 19th of Dec so she has lots of recovery time before we go on holiday end of Jan.
2. Have her spayed after we come back in Feb and hope that she is ok whilst Hubbys dad bunnysits. She has terrible mood swings and sometimes humps Jubby which he seriously does not like. In this instance Hubbys dad would have to seperate them as my boy rabbit gets a bit nasty.
What do you all think?

Yup she's is def hormonal bless her lil heart. Its so funny because litterally she changes from one day to the next. One day shes loving, cuddly and filled with fun the next shes :evil: lol lol. So its ok to get her done at this early age?

If the vet thinks she is a good weight and will do it then there is no reason not to, I had my male neutered at 5 months- he was driving me mad spraying at me at every possible moment. He turned into a little horror and would even walk along the back of the sofa so he could spray in my face.

LOL LOL Sarah!!! My Jubby was exactly the same. He once did this great big leap in my lap and sprayed me all over. Some even went in my mouth!!!! Isn't that just the most disgusting thing ever! LOL!

LOL LOL Sarah!!! My Jubby was exactly the same. He once did this great big leap in my lap and sprayed me all over. Some even went in my mouth!!!! Isn't that just the most disgusting thing ever! LOL!

It is, I didn't like him very much during that time, I got it in my mouth too! Eugh! If I was sat on the couch I'd get my sides nipped too, he was a right little monster.

At least if you get her spayed on the 19th you'll be around over Christmas to keep an eye on her, the only thing I would look into is when your vet is open around this time incase she pulls her stitches or won't eat.

Yes i looked into that too. Our vets is open the 19th right through to the Sat 22nd and then it would be an emergency vet after that. Maybe i could get her done a little earlier maybe the 17th or 18th.

Yes, I did: Jen (in my sig) was very hormonal and my vet agreed to spay her at five months. She came through it absolutely fine and was eating against almost straight after her op :D I kept her in for about three - four nights anyway, but she recovered very quickly.

Thanks encouraging to hear, thank you!
Both our buns live inside so she will be nice and warm and nursed back to recovery by me :D

Back