• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Losing fur?!

Kenno

Warren Scout
I've just been cleaning my rabbit out and I noticed that he had alot of lose fur and then I noticed a couple bald patchs on his sides and on the side of his head. They're not completely bald it's like really short fur.

What could it be? Could he be moulting already?

:?

Bailey looks like this when he is moulting. He doesn't get bald patches, but when I groom him his fur comes out and I can see short, dense, dark fur underneath. It usually takes a week or so for the odd looking patches to disappear and I usually only see it on his head. Hes not moulting right now, otherwise I would post a photo to show you :)

I tried to get a photo of it but he thought I was playing and just started to bound around his run. I'll try again tomorrow.

Yeah it's really short, darker fur and it's really thin. I'm just alittle surprised if he is moulting that why now? Winter's not over yet, he still needs his winter coat surely!

I'm very confused! :?

I'm assumign he is stil in there on his own?

Do you groom him often? If not then it may be building up... if its on the side of his head too then he cant be pullign it himself tho buns can do that if bored.. but it would be in place they can reach...

Have you changed anything wiht him?

My buns are inside and moult at strange time of the year tho they dont really get a winter coat there is still a lot of fur!!

Yeah he's still on his own. It's the side of his head so it's not like he's pulling it out himself.

I've changed a few things recently, I've started him on SS pellets (which he's not even eating, he's hiding it in his hay) and I changed the woodshavings in his hutch to just purely hay. Apart from those two things, I've not changed anything else.

If I can get some pictures tomorrow, I'll show you.

I just don't know if he's just moulting or if it's something I should be worried about and may need to go the vets. But I don't want to take him to the vets and them turn around and say he's just moulting, I'd feel like such a plonker.

I gave up feelign liek a plonker months ago :lol: besides its teh vets job! sure the docs are the same :D

shouldnt think the change in bedding woudl make much of a diff or the pellets??:? They are better on hay anyway and even if they dont eat the pellets its better to just have hay anyway.

not sure what else to suggest really other than a trip to the vets for advice :?

Maybe if he has more snuggly bedding (by way of hay rather than the wood shavings) keepign him warm then its more likely to be moulting :?
Not seen bold patches when moulting tho?
is there anything in teh hutch that he coudl catch his fur on perhaps? Run your fingers along it all and see if there is a frayed bit of wood or staples etc? mabe if he bounds about as you say he's crashed into smthn?

Deej is having a major moult right now! Being an indoor bun, he has then at odd times of the year!!! He has funny coloured "spots" on his cheeks at the moment, where he's moulting - it's really cute! :D

I've checked his hutch, there's nothing I would say that he's been able to catch himself on.

When I picked him, I was just covered head to toe in fur and when I was stroking him, fur was just coming lose. I think he is moulting!

I have been given him extra bedding cos it's been really cold and windy here. I think I'll talk to my boss, who's rabbit it was, and see if he can remember when he started moulting last year.

If not I think I'll ring the vets for some advice.

I could understand if he were an indoor bun and he was moulting at strange times of the year but not being an outdoor bun! :?

Definately sounds like a mass moult :lol: has been a bit milder in teh nights afetr the past few weeks so that coudl be it along with the snuggly bedding :D
Mine seemes to moult whatever the weather last year but they are indoor so probs the radiators coming on etc...
If fur is just pouring of him then i'd say moulting is the answer.
IS he happy in himself other than that? eating pooing etc? if so then I woudl say all is fine :D

He's been drinking more, which I just read somewhere that when they moult they do tend to drink more.

He's eating and pooping and weeing and bounding about his run so I wouldn't say anything was wrong with him.

I'll keep an eye on his poops and eating and I'll give him a groom later to help the moulting process along abit!

Aww I'm gonna miss my big ball of fluff! I liked his winter coat! :(

Definately sounds like moulting, I wouldn't worry (well I would, but I wouldn't need to :lol:). Bailey has started moulting again, but he seems to constantly. I've never had an outdoor bunny though, so I don't know what their moulting patterns are like. Luuna's fur is coming out in clouds too. You stroke her and it just goes everywhere :shock: :lol:

ETA: he is really cute :D Looks a bit cheeky in your siggy photo!

Back