• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch height question?

Hi I foster rabbits for the RSPCA and their minimum height is 2 foot 6 inches. this allows the rabbit to stand up.

Minimum recommended or minimum available? :D
I think most hutches are 20 inches high, which is ok for small lops and Nethies, but not ideal. I find it much easier to clean out a hutch that is 2 ft high. Plus bunnies often like to sit on top of things, e.g. Sunnie has a log roll tunnel in her hutch. I bent it so that the top is flat, and she loves to sit on there. With 2 ft height she still has enough space to sit upright.

i don't know about everyone else, but the recommended sizes upset and frustrate me quite a bit 'cos i find it very difficult to find products that actually meet them! we have an indoor cage and it is only 20" high. our bunny gets alot of time out from his cage, but even with the length, the recommended lengths are not manufactured to a high level to be purchased. we bought the biggest we could find at the time which was 120cm in length, we have since seen the 140 ferplast but this is even shorter than his current home. we have also now seen a 150cm cage but as far as i can see there is only one manufacturer of this and it is retailed at over £200.

oh well, we have recently found the NIC panels and will hopefully build a palace for preston over xmas to solve all height & length issues :D

The hutch I am ordering cant be 2ft high on each level :cry: :cry: :cry: I have well had enough now I dont know what to do again :cry:

I was going to order a ryedale hutch but it needs to fit on a palet or something to get to me so they cant make both levels 2ft high. I havent ordered anything yet because I dont know what I am going to do now

How high do your buns become when they're on 2 legs. Surely it only needs to be that big. Rabbits come in all different sizes and as far as I'm aware the size recommendation is just that, a guide not an exact rule. :)

Well they are both bigger than Trip and Scarlett. Buu doesnt touch the top of her 2ft happyhutch and Beau just doesnt stand up, im not sure he can :(

I will get a tape measure out and get them to stand up :oops:

They have said they will make both as high as possible but so it will still fit on the pallet, which will be higher than the standard ones they do but wont quite be 2ft

To be honest, mine don't stand up much, and if they do, then it is mainly in the run. Did you ask whether they could make it without the legs? You could always put it on some bricks instead of legs. If both floors are almost 2 ft high, then that should be fine.

They said they need to put the tiny legs on, but are going to make them as small as possible. Its actually going to be just under 2ft really, its not going to be 1ft or anything so probably wont make any difference at all but I thought I should check x

Yeh Beau doesnt stand up at all, and Buu only stands up when she is actually playing and running around

Buu is a lop, so won't be quite as tall as an uppy eared bunny. When Snoopy stands up, he usually doesn't have his ears upright either, and there's still space between his nose and the roof of the hutch. 22 inches should be fine, I think. What is the height they suggest? It's great that they are so flexible with the measurements.

Yep Buu is a lop, and Beau has one uppy ear but when he is looking around its usually resting on his back :shock: :lol:

This is what is says on the website

Width : 6ft
Height : 40"
Depth :2ft

:D

Yep Buu is a lop, and Beau has one uppy ear but when he is looking around its usually resting on his back :shock: :lol:

This is what is says on the website

Width : 6ft
Height : 40"
Depth :2ft

:D

But is that the maximum they can make? Or can they make it 44 " tall? 48" would be 4 ft, wouldn't it? Argh, centimeters are so much easier. :lol:

But is that the maximum they can make? Or can they make it 44 " tall? 48" would be 4 ft, wouldn't it? Argh, centimeters are so much easier. :lol:

I think thats the standard size they can do it, and they are going to go as much over that as possible but so that it will still fit on the thing to send it to me x

Back