• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping runs dry... ideas please

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
I'm going to be putting my happy hutch combo back into service. It lives between the two bunny shed's so is quite protected form wind.
I've got the hutch at the back with the run lid in front (but turned round so it opens out instead of in front of the hutch doors) and I don't know how to cover the run lid to keep the run dry without water collecting on there.
Water is also turning the roof of the hutch into a paddling pool.

Has anyone got any ideas?

I had some plywood cut a bit bigger than the runs, then put it on top the run with bricks underneath the side closest to the hutch so the water runs away and doesn't create a pool :D On one of my other runs I have just a shower curtain over it, it does create a pool of water but I just take the cover off when I see the buns to get the water off it, and run keeps dry :D

It won't matter if the run gets wet. Is your hutch roof flat? The easiest way to fix the paddling pool thing if you're, like me, no good at DIY is to get 2 pieces of wood the length of the roof then put a brick on each corner at the front, lay one of the pieces wood along the front on the bricks, and lay the other along the back directly on the roof. Go to your local B&Q or timber yard and ask them to cut you a piece of heavy ply jus a bit bigger that the size of the roof. Lay that on top of the wood, and it should slope nicely. Cover it with a tarp if you want.

This is the hutch/run I've got http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Massive-Rabbi...ryZ63513QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The roof has a slight slope to it but obviously not enough of one :roll:
I think I'm probably a bit over-protective but I'd like to try and keep it as dry as possible :oops: :lol:

Emma - don't you or the run get soaked when you move the shower curtain?? That's what happens when I move the tarp I've got on there at the moment... which is why I want to do something different :lol:

This is the hutch/run I've got http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Massive-Rabbi...ryZ63513QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The roof has a slight slope to it but obviously not enough of one :roll:
I think I'm probably a bit over-protective but I'd like to try and keep it as dry as possible :oops: :lol:

Emma - don't you or the run get soaked when you move the shower curtain?? That's what happens when I move the tarp I've got on there at the moment... which is why I want to do something different :lol:

That's the hutch I've got :D

Yeah I used to get soaked, but now I've learnt how to pull it off without getting water on me :lol: :lol:

Definitely recommend getting the plywood to put over the run slightly raised at one end, that's a lot easier for me as it all just drains off anyway :D

I put some roofing felt on two-thirds of my run, so they can sit outside in the rain if they wanted. There is a paddling pool effect on the roofing felt but I just brush the water off every now and again.

I've got the same issue with my little buns run. Covered in plastic at the moment, but as soon as I open it the water pours off everywhere.
I'm thinking of getting some of the corrugated plastic sheets. They're around 6' long and 2.5' wide for £6+ each- just need to think of a good way of fixing them:?

I've got the same issue with my little buns run. Covered in plastic at the moment, but as soon as I open it the water pours off everywhere.
I'm thinking of getting some of the corrugated plastic sheets. They're around 6' long and 2.5' wide for £6+ each- just need to think of a good way of fixing them:?

I just overlap mine and put a brick on top :D £4.99 at B & Q :D

I use B@Q green garden sheets with the handles on the each corner then I tie wrap them on the run and put little holes along the side and tie wrap it all around. They are wide enough to cover a bit of the sides as well so if I get a puddle on top I can get it to drain without the rain going into the run.:D

Sounds good... does it stay put when it's really windy?

Has done so far! And with the the really windy weather we've had here in past couple of weeks I'm quite surprised it has! :shock: It's quite heavy really so suppose it weighs itself down.

Back