• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

::Dermot::Post-Mortem Results::Update:16:22:hrs

mit

Mama Doe
Need you guys help.

My new bun Dermot i adopted from Animal Lifeline, isnt well!! :cry: :cry:

All this guts have stuck together. Due to the fact that hes got eating any hay. Ive tried sooo hard to get him onto it, but no luck. I order samples pack from HayExperts a couple of days back, so they should be with me soon.

I noticed something was wrong with him last night, not excited to see me, moving, but not running around like he does, not wanting to this pellets with he LOVES!! I was a scary night and was on the phone to Janice quite a few times last night till late, her guiding me what to do!!

Thanks You SOOOOOOOOOO Much Janice for Last Night!!

After a couple of hours of being in side the house he started drink water and when i came back from Tesco at 12:30 last night he was eating some pellets and drinking. Hes eaten and drinks in bit really since then, but is moving around.

Took him to the vets this afternoon. He was given Meta something, Metacoltide maybe, Baytril and Norcalf, not sure how that is spelt either. She told be that i needed to get some roughage into him, she said to give him some veg; carrots and broccoli and gave me a packet of Critical Care and told me to keep giving him the infocol, 2ml 3 times a day. See them again Tuesday morning.

So my questions are:

1. The veg. Is carrots and broccoli a good one, or is there a veg which is "rougher". If that makes sence and i thought the veg might make his poo even more stickier.

2. The Critical Care i was told to give 5ml-10ml evey four hours which is fine, but i not sure how much to mix together. If i was to make 20mls how much power should i put in??

3. Any other tips on get this gut moving again?

4. Is there a certain amount of water he should be having too??

Really Scared im gonna loose him!! I just lost Victor and Rolf not so long ago!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

m
xx

Last edited:
Dont give him carrots if he will eat an alternative veg, they are too sugary and feed the bad bacteria which will compund his gut issues. Try to use blander greens like spring greens, brocolli and cabbage for exapmle are known to cause/exacerbate bloat.

Make him run about even if it means chasing him a little and give him tummy rubs, small circular movements with your hand moving down the stomach, this should help manouver trapped food and stimulate his intestinal tract.

I think the minimum fluid intake for a average rabbit is 5omls a day but there is a formula for working it out based on body weight which I can never remember.

The more the better even if it means syringe feeding it to him. I aim for 10mls minimum every two hours. If he is dehydrated his skin will 'tent' when pinched as it looses elasticity.

Hydration is key for a rabbit in stasis as the contents of the stomach begin to dehydrate and lead to hard blockages which make using gut stimulants dangerous.

Use warm water so as not to shock his system and make sure he is maintaining his body temperature....is he indoors?

Dont give him carrots if he will eat an alternative veg, they are too sugary and feed the bad bacteria which will compund his gut issues. Try to use blander greens like spring greens, brocolli and cabbage for exapmle are known to cause/exacerbate bloat.

Make him run about even if it means chasing him a little and give him tummy rubs, small circular movements with your hand moving down the stomach, this should help manouver trapped food and stimulate his intestinal tract.

I think the minimum fluid intake for a average rabbit is 5omls a day but there is a formula for working it out based on body weight which I can never remember.

The more the better even if it means syringe feeding it to him. I aim for 10mls minimum every two hours. If he is dehydrated his skin will 'tent' when pinched as it looses elasticity.

Hydration is key for a rabbit in stasis as the contents of the stomach begin to dehydrate and lead to hard blockages which make using gut stimulants dangerous.

Use warm water so as not to shock his system and make sure he is maintaining his body temperature....is he indoors?

Thanks you soo much!

Ok will get some greens. How much how often? Or should i just cut them up in tiny bit and let them be in a bowl?

So, 10ml of Water every 2hrs, 5ml-10ml of CC every 4hrs and 2ml of Infacol three times a day.

Do you know any about mixing the CC power with water??

m
xx

Sorry not great on stuff like this. Definately spring greens. You could even cut em up, thats how mojo likes them :D will he eat any thing like grass and dandelions too? Or dried herbs?
Good luck!

Infacol is inert and virtually impossible to overdose, give it hourly and give tummy rubs after feeding it.

CC- is 1:3 or 1:5 parts water dependant on desired strenght and its one scoop (read flat teaspoon) per 250g body weight.

Infacol is inert and virtually impossible to overdose, give it hourly and give tummy rubs after feeding it.

CC- is 1:3 or 1:5 parts water dependant on desired strenght and its one scoop (read flat teaspoon) per 250g body weight.

So if we say he weights 2kgs, that 8 teaspoons of CC mixed in with 24 teaspoons of water. Right? :? :?

m
xx

Hi, I hope hes doing ok :) I usually make up fairly sloppy cc and feed more, my two spit it out if its too thick :roll: Plus they get more water if its not so thick. Really hope hes feeling better :)

How is he doing today? One of my rabbits totally refuses hay (even when disguised with spring cabbage) so I now feed Oxbow Bunny Basics which is a hay based pellet and his movements are 200% better.

Thanks for askin guys.

He goin in the right direction, which i am happy about. But i dont know if you are still out of the wood. I guess ill find out on Tuesday morning.

Been at work today. Which was a killer for me as i wanted to be at home with him, but couldnt as i HAD to go to work today. Mum did her best to look after him, while i was away.

He feel feed CC twice today, third will be at 11 along with more water and infacol. Hes had 4 2mls of Infacol and 50+ml of water from me so far, not including the water he had by himself from his bottle. He had a good exercise this morning in the garden, which he loved. Hes had some Spring Greens and Brocolli, also gave him 5 SS pellets.

This poo is MUCH better than yeseterday, where is was all soft and sticky, this evening it is more firmer, could be harder though.

He's still not eating Hay and not really touched his ReadiGrass which he usaully takes.

Just a couple of questions:

- How often should i be giving him veg?? I dont want to over feed him with it, incase it gives him soft poo.

- To get some more roughage into him, what about leafs?? What types are best? Where can i get some from?

Still really scared, its too soon after loosing my boys for anything to happen to Dermot.

m
xx

How is he doing today? One of my rabbits totally refuses hay (even when disguised with spring cabbage) so I now feed Oxbow Bunny Basics which is a hay based pellet and his movements are 200% better.

Dermont eat his veg like there was no tomorrow!! Just did a bit of reading on Bunny Basics. Sounds like good stuff. So do you guys recommend a change over from SS to BB after hes better??

m
xx

All of the ARC bunnies are on Bunny Basics T, it is good stuff and higher in fibre than a lot of the other foods. The main problem with it is finding places which stock it. You can contact petlife http://www.petlifeonline.co.uk/ and they will inform you of a local distributor. If all else fails contact Donna and see if she will get extra in and sell some on to you.

All of the ARC bunnies are on Bunny Basics T, it is good stuff and higher in fibre than a lot of the other foods. The main problem with it is finding places which stock it. You can contact petlife http://www.petlifeonline.co.uk/ and they will inform you of a local distributor. If all else fails contact Donna and see if she will get extra in and sell some on to you.

Cheers Janice. Was thinking that you guys at ARC fed it. Should i change him over once he feeling better right? Hayexperts do it, only is 4.5kgs i think.

Can you help with the questions are the Veg and Leafs please??

The only leafy products i can get hold of are the Rosewood Range, advertised here on Hay Experts, which are sold at P@H.

Coneflower? Dandelion Delight? Ginko Plus? Herbal Garden? Herbs Plus? Jerusalem Artichoke? Nature's Salad? Trio of Fruit Leaves?

https://www.thehayexperts.com/index.php?cPath=7&osCsid=e37a827a2efdacd9dcc1a25a768c08b7

Thanks you guys soo much for all you help. I would be lost without you guys.

m
xx

Only a little bit of Grass in the front and i just had a check. Its pretty short. So i cant really get much out of it. As for Dandelions, cant see any. Dont want to be picking any of the grass or dandelions of the green outside our house, as the public walk all over it and i dont know how clean it is. Dog poo etc.

I thoughi the Dried packets from Rosewood where ment to be quite good, no?

Also his poo's are tiny. No where as big as they usally are. Its that cause of the CC or just him being sick?

I'm sorry for all the questions. It's the first time one of my bun has fallen sick and hopefully the last. A real learning curve for me!!

m
xx

Only a little bit of Grass in the front and i just had a check. Its pretty short. So i cant really get much out of it. As for Dandelions, cant see any. Dont want to be picking any of the grass or dandelions of the green outside our house, as the public walk all over it and i dont know how clean it is. Dog poo etc.

I thoughi the Dried packets from Rosewood where ment to be quite good, no?

Also his poo's are tiny. No where as big as they usally are. Its that cause of the CC or just him being sick?

I'm sorry for all the questions. It's the first time one of my bun has fallen sick and hopefully the last. A real learning curve for me!!

m
xx

Really your vet needs to figure out why your bun is sick. Did the vet mention a possible cause?

Really your vet needs to figure out why your bun is sick. Did the vet mention a possible cause?

I know why he is sick. Its becuase he refuses to eat hay and his guts have all stuck together. GI motility/stasis. I was trying everything to get him to eat more hay. Even order sample packs from HayExperts on Thursday, a little late as hes sick now, no sign of the packets yet.

What i was asking was, is his poo' tiny because he is on CC, and CC being a powder mixed with water, would make sence why the poo is soo tiny or is it just because thats how small poo is with a bun has GI motility/stasis.

m
xx

Mit

The poo is small due to your bun having had problems, the tiny poos are the equivelenent of a bun being consipated, the bigger they are the more healthy the gut is. The poo size is not related to exactly what they are eating, it realtes the amount of water in the gut and the fibre content and the amount of 'matter' which is in the gut. With a healthy bun who does large poo's normally, if the poo size gets smaller this indicates that the bun has a gut problem and action needs to be taken prior to problems occuring. Therefore poo watching is an excellent part of basic rabbit care and will give people warning that problems are developing, giving them time to take immediate steps. As bigger poos appear you know that the gut is recovering.

Big poos inidicate a healthy gut.​

Not sure what you meant by the leaves and the veg, However keep to the lower sugar veg and the less gassy. Leaves such as spring greens are briliant.

Cut down on the pellets as soon as he has recovered and supply lots of hay, you can mix it in with some normal stuff to encourage them to eat lther types. The dried leaves you have linked to are ok, they can be mixed in with hay to encourage rabbits to eat hay.

I have a pair of rabbits who came to me last week as their owners were moving abroad, they were fed on 2 large bowls of mix a day and produced tiny, tiny poo's. One had a dreadfully sticky bottom on two days running, I have stopped their mix totally and have just given them an assortment of hay and have now given them a tiny amount of bunny basics T which they have now started to disgruntely eat. I have had 4 days in total of dirty bottoms from one and this morning a beautiful clean bottom :lol: They apparently were not fond of hay ....... but as they are now hungry they are beginning to tuck in.

Last edited:
Back