• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building your own run

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I know some of you have built your own runs, and there was one in particular that I really liked the look of but I cant remember who it was and cant find it by searching :oops: :lol:

Im going to make runs for Buu and Beau myself and want to start pretty soon :D

Whats the best wood to use? I have read on here that a wood called tongue and groove is best for hutches so is this what I should use for the runs?

Also is there lots of different tpyes of mesh? And which type is best to use?

I need to make it strong enough so that cats cant break into it so want to make sure im using the right stuff x

Oh and if anyone has any pics of runs they have made please could I see them? :D x

Tongue and groove is the way the wood fits together rather than the type (e.g. laminate flooring is usually tongue and groove, one side of the wood has a bit that sticks out and the other side has a gap that it fits in, bit like a jigsaw puzzle - as opposed to overlap which is where the wood is overlapped rather than fitted edge to edge)
If it needs to be cat proof remember to use U shaped nails rather than staples to attach the mesh to the run (or use both) as staples can be pulled out a lot more easily when weight's put on what they're holding up.
Most places sell an 'aviary/small animal' mesh which is probably OK as you don't get foxes over there

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I thought it was a special type of wood :oops: :lol: Im glad I posted this now or I would have gone to the DIY place and asked for strips of tongue and groove wood :lol:

Right I will make sure I use U shape nails and I am probably just ok to use the mesh I have seen at B&Q then :D

The neighbours with all the cats have moved out now so the only other animals in the garden will be my two cats, so we should be alright assuming the kitten is like Smirnoff and has no interest in the rabbits :lol: But I will make sure the runs are secure just incase any other cats do come in x

lol oh bless ya bekkie!!!!!

its not the run ur tlkinb out i made mine and heres mine:

DSCF0828-1.jpg

ignore the lid that was jus temprary while my dad was building the proper one

DSCF0786-1.jpg

little peanut!

Awww Peanut!!

Have you already posted pics of it on here? That might be the one, if it isnt its one very similar :lol: What size is yours? x

yeh i did when i made it

i think its 5 ft wide and 6ft long?

only thing i would do though, it put some wood accross the corners cus it bends when i move it sumtimes, it would make it more solid. lol peanut loves that run, cus its very tall so he can binky as much as he likes lol

I've made my own.

Here's Salt and Pepper's
DSCN0840.jpg

It also has a lid
DSCN0854.jpg

I use 2x1 6' lengths of wood to build a frame
DSCN0811.jpg

Then secured the corners
DSCN0812.jpg

Attached galvanised mesh with U staples
DSCN0814.jpg

(continued)
I also made a panel for under the run, which is attached to the sides. The other half of the base is concrete slabs. SOme of the panels have sheets of wood covering them for shelter.
DSCN0826.jpg

The roof is sheets of plywood (5 ply) with roofing felt stapled over, and another mesh panel.

I built this on my own, so it is do-able!

It really looks great :D My buns wouldnt even be able to stand up in the ones I have seen in pet shops thats why im making them :lol:

tbh i didnt mean to make mine that tall it was an accident! then when i saw it, i was like, actually thats better!!

Hello :wave:

I built this one by myself. Was the first bit of woodwork I ever did so I was quite proud it worked :D It's 3' x 8' and is in two halves which bolt together so I can take it apart then move it to a tasty new patch of grass. It's made with chicken wire in this photo but then I found out that wasn't fox proof so I had to rip it all off and replace it with cage+aviary mesh from homebase. good luck building your run!

run.jpg

me.jpg

Thanks hun, that looks great :D This will be the first thing I am making really so hopefully it turns out as nice as yours :D x

thankyou :D my top tip is: make sure you plan it really well! I thought I had, but as I put my plan into practice, I found quite a few things I hadn't taken into account :oops:

Whats the best wood to use?
Most softwood is fine. This is the stuff that B&Q etc sell. Plain "Sawn timber" is the cheapest as it hasn't been planed down - just watch for splinters. You will need to treat it with creosote or whatever, or you can buy pre pressure treated timber for external use (This is sort of a darkish green colour).

Also is there lots of different tpyes of mesh? And which type is best to use?
As others have said, welded mesh is much stronger than chicken wire type stuff (each joint is welded together rather than twisted)

Oh and if anyone has any pics of runs they have made please could I see them? :D x
run2.jpg

14.jpg

Couple of tips:

If you're going to secure the joints with screws, drill holes first to prevent the wood from splitting.

If you find drilling straight difficult (ie you start in the center of one side, but come out near the edge on the other), then drill in reverse, that is from the inside to outside so that the inside joint where the two bits of wood meet is central.

also i guess it depends on your design but get some kind of clamp/vice to assist with drilling and putting screws in, i made fully half of mine before i realised this would be a good idea. :roll:

Thanks for the info on the wood Jeremy :D Your run looks great too, I love the way you have done the door on yours :D

My boyfriend is a welder so I can use stuff from their workshop :D They should have a clamp thing :lol: x

Oh thanks sillyrabbit, this post is really helpful for me also! :D

I've decided to build my own run as well!

Back