• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Honey v anti-biotics?

willowthewysp

Warren Scout
Everyone knows that long term use of anti-biotics mean the germs and bacteria become resilient(sp) to the abx...this is the case for humans anyway and i would have thought it the same with animals...abx also kill off good bacteria.

My husband is a huge fan of honey...good quality 100% honey.
Has anyone ever tried using honey on infected areas on bunnies before?
Would you recommend it?

Thats a good question. I've no idea if its okay for rabbits though. Will keep an eye on this thread to see what the outcome is. I had no idea honey was so healing x

I looked at manuka honey in holland and barrett and it comes in 2 strengths - I guess you'd need the high strength one to do any good?

I looked at manuka honey in holland and barrett and it comes in 2 strengths - I guess you'd need the high strength one to do any good?

Yes 10+ or higher strength is usually stated as having useful antibacterial properties. Standard manuka honey is supposed to be yummy but you need the 10+ stuff for it to be effective.

I assume this is for her sore hocks? I've heard of good success with (high strength) manuka honey in abcesses.
Have you looked into propolis too? I've heard of it used before in similar circumstances (I think bumblefoot on chinchillas/rats, which is infections on their feet)

I have also heard of it being used in tooth removal to keep the remaining hole sterile and prevent an abcess forming.

I assume this is for her sore hocks? I've heard of good success with (high strength) manuka honey in abcesses.
Have you looked into propolis too? I've heard of it used before in similar circumstances (I think bumblefoot on chinchillas/rats, which is infections on their feet)

I have not heard of propolis..what is that?...Oh, i will google it.

Yes it is for her sore hocks...I thought maybe if i put a little honey on her sores, then bandaged them it might help with the healing?
So i am assuming it is not going to have harmful effects then...as long as i use the abx from the vet aswell...

I have not heard of propolis..what is that?...Oh, i will google it.

Yes it is for her sore hocks...I thought maybe if i put a little honey on her sores, then bandaged them it might help with the healing?
So i am assuming it is not going to have harmful effects then...as long as i use the abx from the vet aswell...

As with any complimentary treatment it is always best to discuss it with the Vet treating your Rabbit :)
Personally I have never had any problems using Manuka Honey on surgical wounds/ abscesses including those sited in the jaw

If you have a read of the Medirabbit pdf file in the second link in my previous post you will find info about when Manuka Honey is a suitable treatment to use

Janex :)

Propolis is another natural sort of complimentary treatment, I think it's taken from beehives
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propolis
They do manuka honey that contains propolis too. I'd definately chat with your vet, mine are always willing to look at different treatment ideas if things aren't working

if you used honey you would need to clean all the pus out and put the honey actually in the sore rather than just on top of the scabbed over bits - it works by making an unfriendly environment for the bacteria to multiply in.

I used manuka honey on Lionels abcess, I am afraid it didn't work though, it has come back twice since so we are now using a different antibiotic that seems to be doing the trick. But its worth a try though :)

Well i will certainly mention the honey to the vet tommorrow, before using it....one of her legs is scabbed, but one isn't, so putting the honey in the sore isn't a problem there.
But the vet is going to bandage her legs again tommorrow, well, that is the plan anyway..will see what he says anyway.
She definatlet needs the abx from the vet first though as the one leg really does look like it has got infection in it:(

As with any complimentary treatment it is always best to discuss it with the Vet treating your Rabbit :)
Personally I have never had any problems using Manuka Honey on surgical wounds/ abscesses including those sited in the jaw

If you have a read of the Medirabbit pdf file in the second link in my previous post you will find info about when Manuka Honey is a suitable treatment to use

Janex :)

That is a very interesting file...sad ending though:cry:

Well, i had to go to the vets today, so spoke to her abou Manuka honey and she has said i can certainly give it a go...may not do anything, but will not cause any harm.;)

Back