• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Old 'dog' new tricks

Isabel

Warren Veteran
Mo jo (I think this name will stick now :D ) is now looking perky and well (he's throwing his food bowl around as I type :rolleyes: ).
For those that don't know he is an older chap, about 4 and it doesn't seem as though he's been litter trained, unless all the disruption has undone previous good work. My question is...him to wee in the litter tray rather than sleep in it :lol: it's very cute I admit but weeing on the carpet ain't so cute. I've tried all the usual, wee soaked paper in the litter tray etc, he does seem to be getting better but is still sleeping in the litter tray.

Also...my other two pretty much poop in the litter tray apart from the occasional forgetful moment but Mo jo just poohs as he walks, do you think when I bond them all he;ll learn off the other two or untrain the others?

Yes, an older bunny can be litter trained. You might never get 100% of the poos in the tray, but it should be pretty easy to get all Mo's wees in there.

I usually shut them in their cage for a few days until they know it's *their* space. Then start letting them out...each time slightly increasing the space and time they are allowed out. It should become habit to return to the cage to do their business.

Amy

I had to get Lexie two litter trays....one to sleep in (in her cage) and one to poo in. I have managed to coax her into using a fluffy bed to sleep in now and she uses the litter tray in her cage 98% of the time.

Hi guys thanks for your advice. the only problem is that when he moves in with Barney and Roxy he won't be in a cage or pen as they are free range in the front room. He's got another week seperate to make sure he's in tip top condition so I'll just try really hard this week :lol:
Do you reckon that if he hasn't got it completely it would be a problem to have him in a pen in with the others? Or would that disrupt their bonding?

I assume he's neutered is he?

Maybe because of all the new other animal smells, he feels the need to mark the territory. So it's possible he will start to go in the 'right' place once they are all bonded.

He is neutered (maybe thats why he looks a little grumpy :lol: )

That is a good point as the first 'accident' he had was where Roxy had had an accident previously.

c'mon Mojo, you can do it!

My two oldies (Winston and Snowdrop) were perfectly litter trained until little Beastor came to live with them. I didn't want to shut all 3 bunnies in the cage, so just left them with the run of the whole room. As expected we now have poo and wee everywhere :shock:

But TBH I'm not that bothered because I had lino put down in the room for my old rabbit Sh*tty when she was incontinent...so get lino put down :lol:

Back