• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you know if a bunny is lonely

pokadotbunny

Young Bun
I am still quite new to the bunny owning and have been wondering if you can tell when bunnies are lonely.

I try and spend a lot of time running around with Nala and fussing her but she never seems interested. Is there anything I can do to try and bond a bit better with her. Unfortunately as much as I would love to get her a companion I just wouldn't have the space for a second cage in our flat.

Has she been spayed? Ours constantly wants attention, and when she doesn't she goes to a certain part of them room which is her "leave me alone corner". She is a lone house rabbit. She was quite cuddly when first got her, she chose us by coming to the edge of cage and constantly wanting her nose rubbed, so we new she was the one! We can't pick her up though she not like! Shes out every evening for 5-6 hours. She quietned down after being spayed and now she 2 years old and appears to be wanting more attention and cuddles which we always give her, hard to ignore a rabbit nudging you for attention or snatching books out of your hand or swiping things of the table ! we sense she wants attention! Why you thing she lonely?

We spend alot of time on her level on the floor and if she comes over to play then we play or cuddle and exchange kisses with her. If she wants to be left alone then we leave her until she comes to! Try just sitting or laying on floor with her and wait for her to come to you. When ours wants time out she lays stretched out on floor "Relaxed Bunny" which is sign of happyness and content! How old is she?

Nothing has really jumped out at me but i think i am just conscious that she is a lone bunny, and that so many people say they seem much happier with a bun companion. she was spayed just over a month ago and everything you have recommended, I do so it is quite nice to hear that I am on the right track, thank you! I wonder if i am hoping for too much with regards to her being really affectionate.

I had a lone house bunny Lionel until last weekend we got him a girlfriend and he literaly changed overnight, he loves cuddles and kisses with us and he is so happy now he even lets us pick him up and jumps onto the sofa with us, I was never sure if he was lonely until this! My o/h thinks hes saying thank you!!

Oh that makes my heart melt. My o/h is quite happy to have another bunny but he is also the most sensible when he says we just don't have the room for a second cage. :(

Do you really need a second cage? I live in a flat and was worried about space too but they both live together in a playpen and have run of the place whenever we are here :)

You don't need separate cages for a pair of bunnies :) Once they are bonded they shouldn't be split up for any reason. You might need a bigger cage (depends how big the cage is that you have now), but you don't need two :)

Oh that makes my heart melt. My o/h is quite happy to have another bunny but he is also the most sensible when he says we just don't have the room for a second cage. :(

You dont have too have a second cage if you let a rescue doo the bonding which some doo where yours will go there too be bonded:D

:wave if you have a bonded pair you won't need a 2nd cage - just one big enough for the 2 of them. it is lovely watching 2 bunnies together and the companionship and love they share with one another - and mine still jump all over me and help me clean out their cage and show off and stuff - i think having 2 makes them happier and so makes your relationship with them better.:)

I really didn't realise you could have them in one cage, I still have so much to learn, please excuse my ignorance! Not sure where I got that I needed a second cage. Definately something to think about. Thanks all :D

hi yes, if they are bonded they will want to be together and you should keep them together all the time. a lot of rescues will do the bonding for you (can be a tricky process or can be easier but you never know) so you take your bunny there and they bond them with their new friend and then you pick them both up and take them home.

Back