• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

when you adopt from a rescue is the adoption form legally binding

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
just wanted everyones thoughts on this PLEASE DONT SHOOT ME DOWN:?
i adopted a terrier puppy 6 months ago,i am really struggling to cope with her :cry: and to be honest if i knew how hard this was gonna be i wouldnt of got a puppy, i take her to puppy training classes and i exercise her regularly but there is just no let up, she is so high energy im struggling to keep up.Im feeling that wer are just not being fair to her she need someone with no children or pets and can dedicate all their time to her,so ill be honest im considering giving her up:oops: :cry: .
my question is,Because i signed an adoption form has she got to go back to the place i got her, is the form legally binding, can i get into trouble for trying to rehome her myself, i really dont want her to go back to the rescue (for reasons i cannot go into)
as i said please dont shoot me down, i am trying to work things out this is a really hard decision and i need to know im doing the right thing :cry: :cry:

It 'should' go back to where it came from, but if there are reasons that mean you don't want to place it back there, it may be best to advise them of the situation but offer to keep the dog till a new home is found to lessen the stress on the dog? That way it would not have to go back into care. Alternatively, you could contact a local rescue with a good reputation and ask them to assist. If you are used to home checking for rabbits, you could always advertise the dog and then check the people yourself. I seriously doubt that the rescue would be able to do anything, or would find out. However, without knowing the rescue, I don't know if the dog would be better off going back there or not.

Yes! your contract is legally binding and the rescue should be your FIRST port of call for returning/rehoming the dog.
The rescue may not have space and you may have to hold her for a certain length of time, if you have a home in mind, they will interview and homecheck and maybe the dog will be able to be homed with out going back into kennels. Is she neutered yet? They may insist you do this before returning her.
Returning her sounds like it will be the best thing for the dog, and going back to the rescue will ensure a homechecked and appropraite home - providing they are a decent rescue, or was it the pound?

when you adopt from a rescue

i would rather keep her then send her back to the rescue, i got her when she was 8 weeks old and she came to me poorly i immediatly had to get her vetinary treatment,the rescue doesnt vaccinate or neauter the dogs but i would spay her before she went, if i decide to rehome her i would rather do it myself but at the same time i dont want to get into trouble

I had friends in a similar situation. They took on a puppy and then found they couldn't cope. They rehomed her through family and never told the rescue.

So really if you don't tell the rescue that you've rehomed her on they'll not find out

If is a rescue that dont do follow ups then I guess they wouldnt find out :?
You obviously have some concerns regarding the rescue you got her from, is it really a rescue if they dont vacc or neuter? Is it the council shelter/pound? If so they probably wouldnt take her back anyway, thats what I've found to be the case.
Do you have a home in mind already? Defo a 100% good idea to spey her before she goes anywhere too.

As Jill from Honeybunnys has found out, the documents aren't legally binding at all, if you do a search you'll find threads on rabbits which have been passed on and there's not a thing rescues can do. However a bigger rescue such as the rspca may well have legally binding documents, but if it's a small rescue chances are they aren't

I got a puppy a while back and we only had her for a week and I couldn't believe the work involved and I took her back to the lady we got her from as I knew she had another person who wanted her, so you do have my sympathy. Next time I'm adopting an older dog!!

Can i just add that if you have real concerns over the dogs welfare if it is returned then fair enough ..rehome it yourself..
but..although we found out adoption forms are not legally binding...i would not like to take part in encouraging people to ignore them.
I would be...and have been..very upset and angry if people chose to ignore the rules I inform them of upon adoption...the 2 people who have done this to us still make me angry when i think of them:cry:

please lets encourage people to stick to their agreements ..not break them.

Nice to know most animals stay with those who've adopted:D Romy glad you're still so in love with Fraiser..
and Becca..glad you've kept their names!:lol: We may be getting a sow in soon called Doo-dah..so will let you know!:lol:

Nice to know most animals stay with those who've adopted:D Romy glad you're still so in love with Fraiser..
and Becca..glad you've kept their names!:lol: We may be getting a sow in soon called Doo-dah..so will let you know!:lol:

Add Stanley to that list of never-to-be-returned (s).

jayniepickles002-1.jpg

Neil

Oooh - another lovely name. I love the girlies' names - like with Tarquin I feel they came with special names so I like to keep them. :D

Sorry you're faced with such a difficult decision bunnyrun. I hope you find a solution you're happy with.

:)

Can i just add that if you have real concerns over the dogs welfare if it is returned then fair enough ..rehome it yourself..
but..although we found out adoption forms are not legally binding...i would not like to take part in encouraging people to ignore them.
I would be...and have been..very upset and angry if people chose to ignore the rules I inform them of upon adoption...the 2 people who have done this to us still make me angry when i think of them:cry:

please lets encourage people to stick to their agreements ..not break them.

I agree with jill .
if you have concerns about the rescue you got the pup from i can see why you wouldnt want to send it back....but then ....i would be very annoyed if someone went against the rules of our adoptions and rehomed an animal instead of handing it back to us.

im a little concerned that youd think of going against an agreement like this.

if youre concerns about the rescue are that bad you should report them.

Last edited:
I agree with jill .
if you have concerns about the rescue you got the pup from i can see why you wouldnt want to send it back....but then ....i would be very annoyed if someone went against the rules of our adoptions and rehomed an animal instead of handing it back to us.

im a little concerned that youd think of going against an agreement like this.

if youre concerned about the rescue are that bad you should report them.

I can sort of see what you mean but if someone here adopted a rabbit from a bad rescue, started to realise how bad it was, and then for some reason had to give the rabbit up, would you advise them to give it back to a bad rescue? Yes, the rescue could be reported but how many times have members reported neglect cases, bad petshops, etc. for nothing to be done?

I can sort of see what you mean but if someone here adopted a rabbit from a bad rescue, started to realise how bad it was, and then for some reason had to give the rabbit up, would you advise them to give it back to a bad rescue? Yes, the rescue could be reported but how many times have members reported neglect cases, bad petshops, etc. for nothing to be done?

i know what youre saying ...BUT... what one persons view of a rescue does not mean that that rescue is definatly bad.

i cant sit here and say yes rehome it yourself ...as that would give anyone reason to do the same ....for any little quibble they have

could end up with al sorts of stupid reasons why adoption conditions are not adherred to .

i know what youre saying ...BUT... what one persons view of a rescue does not mean that that rescue is definatly bad.

i cant sit here and say yes rehome it yourself ...as that would give anyone reason to do the same ....for any little quibble they have

could end up with al sorts of stupid reasons why adoption conditions are not adherred to .

Well, I can't speak for the conditions of the rescue in this situation but I have seen/heard of some appalling places posing as rescues and the animals are much better off being out of there. I think these places need as little support as they can get - hard for the animals involved but if they stop being able to rehome or make money to support it they'll have to stop eventually.

Maybe this should be thought of when adopting an animal, don't use a ****** rescue because if you have problems you have no back up and support to rely on.

Back