• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why do people steal rabbits?

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
Just a quickie - I was talking to my dad about rabbit theft and he asked why people do it and I was totally stumped. Do they just want a free pet? If so, why not get one off an advert and save the risk of a criminal record?! :shock:

Just a quickie - I was talking to my dad about rabbit theft and he asked why people do it and I was totally stumped. Do they just want a free pet? If so, why not get one off an advert and save the risk of a criminal record?! :shock:

Sometimes it is done to get at the Bun's owner
The theif is well aware of the distress the theft will cause
So vindictive malice is one reason

Janex

Its an easy way to make money. They can either steal it and sell it on, or breed from it and sell the babies on.

My cousin has had 2 of hers stolen. She's now taken to keeping her bunny in her bedroom.

:(

I thought that but it seems so daft to commit a crime for something that's so readily available elsewhere. still i guess that's what people are like. I know an old lady who had all her flowerpots stolen while she was on holiday *sigh*

Sometimes it is done to get at the Bun's owner
The theif is well aware of the distress the theft will cause
So vindictive malice is one reason

Janex

We think thats why my cousin was targetted twice. Its safe to say, my cuz isn't my favouritest person in the world, but it was still horrible, and although she's a b*tch and a w*ore, she didn't deserve her bunnies being stolen

:(

I thought that but it seems so daft to commit a crime for something that's so readily available elsewhere. still i guess that's what people are like. I know an old lady who had all her flowerpots stolen while she was on holiday *sigh*

We've had our hanging baskets stolen before, and my Mum had her old metro broken into by some chavs, just coz she helped a neighbour, after one of the chavs attacked our neighbour :(

there are some :evil: people about. there was a story in the news not so long ago of people breaking into a garden and killing a pet rabbit, and leaving it there for the owners to find the next morning. sick

thats so terrible :(

i have fear that if we got burgulars theyd torture my pets... i so hate going out......

I had my rabbit murdered and skinned when I was younger, I vaguly rememebr my Dad helped some neighbours down the road after another neighbour stole something from them (cant remember all the details as I was only 5/6) and then we came home one day and found Rusty dead :(

I had my rabbit murdered and skinned when I was younger, I vaguly rememebr my Dad helped some neighbours down the road after another neighbour stole something from them (cant remember all the details as I was only 5/6) and then we came home one day and found Rusty dead :(

How awful :cry: :cry: :cry:

Poor Rusty and poor you. There is some evil scum in this world :evil: :evil:

jesus. i kindof wish I'd never started this thread now :( also it's reminded me of my colleague who claims to have once skinned and eaten his ex's rabbit. :(

rabbit theft?

It is of course sadly true all of the things mentioned do happen and I am not in the slightest suggesting otherwise in any of these cases, however just to put it in perspective, far more rabbits just happen to "escape" ,are taken by preditors or more horrifically mutilated in situ by the same. Owners do not like to admit they have been less than careing or have provided less than secure accommodation.

It must also be bourne in mind that it is far more socially acceptable for people to say their rabbit has been "stolen" than to admit to being bored and fed up with an animal and subsequently dumping it. After all having your treasured pet "stolen" brings waves of sympathy from all around. a nil chance of detection and for some really sad people publicity in the local press and tv.

My final observation is this. At this time of year(and for that matter it also applies coming up to any holiday) I can tell you the number of calls coming to us for us to take in rabbits jumps. Each person makes the reason very plausable and "genuine" sounding but stangely nobody admits to the poor rabbit being neglected and no longer fitting in with festive or holiday plans.
Nobody likes other people to know they are uncaring shallow or down right cruel when it comes to animals so a more acceptable explanation has to se sought.

As for us I can tell you "The inn is over full right now" ---- Merry christmas

It is of course sadly true all of the things mentioned do happen and I am not in the slightest suggesting otherwise in any of these cases, however just to put it in perspective, far more rabbits just happen to "escape" ,are taken by preditors or more horrifically mutilated in situ by the same. Owners do not like to admit they have been less than careing or have provided less than secure accommodation.

It must also be bourne in mind that it is far more socially acceptable for people to say their rabbit has been "stolen" than to admit to being bored and fed up with an animal and subsequently dumping it. After all having your treasured pet "stolen" brings waves of sympathy from all around. a nil chance of detection and for some really sad people publicity in the local press and tv.

My final observation is this. At this time of year(and for that matter it also applies coming up to any holiday) I can tell you the number of calls coming to us for us to take in rabbits jumps. Each person makes the reason very plausable and "genuine" sounding but stangely nobody admits to the poor rabbit being neglected and no longer fitting in with festive or holiday plans.
Nobody likes other people to know they are uncaring shallow or down right cruel when it comes to animals so a more acceptable explanation has to se sought.

As for us I can tell you "The inn is over full right now" ---- Merry christmas

'tis the season to be jolly?
OK, I guess there's a proportion of people who would use it, as you say, as an excuse but what about those that are members on here? All they need to do is stop posting on the forum and no one will know they've rehomed their rabbit. What about those that have one rabbit from a pair stolen and need to get another rabbit to keep it company? If they were bored of rabbits they'd have both go missing and wouldn't get another.
This is a forum of rabbit owners here to do the best by their rabbits - no need to have a go at us (especially in a thread that isn't really about people giving up their rabbits!)

The step father of a girl who was in my class at school killed her pet rabbit and fed it to her - he only told her what it was afterwards - she thought the rabbit had escaped. He was a sick f*ck.

Someone in Shoreham a few years ago went around cutting peoples cats in half and leaving half in the owner's garden and half in the neighbours.

whoooooh there.

Whoooh there Ben's Mum if you re-read my bit you will clearly see it is not aimed at any member and I am sorry if you have taken offence for any reason.

As for rabbits being stolen if you do not see the actual person take a rabbit in most cases it could be just "missing ".

As for why one would go missing I can tell you there are people out there who would dump a rabbit and get a new one rather than pay a vets bill and also some rabbits are houdinis in an insecure enclosure.

As for having a go, I feel you are being somewhat sensitive as I clearly only stated an observation and as for threads keeping to a stict theme that's another issue and often useful information often not strictly related to a thread is often worth considering.

It just seemed a bit like preaching to the choir - I know it's frustrating and maybe you just needed a rant but given this thread is about stolen rabbits and several genuine members on here have had theirs stolen recently, it was a bit uncalled for to accuse the majority of people in general of lying about their rabbits being stolen

Back