• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit welfare scientific books/papers

kiri

Warren Scout
As well as the RWF does anyone know of any books addressing specifically rabbit welfare issues and rabbits in the pet trade? I've just brought myself a few books on amazon/ebay but they are all quite basic aimed at the new rabbit keeper. Any recommendations before I spend any more money!
:wave:
Thanks guys
Kiri

Do you mean thinks like care/health for pet owners or scientific papers and animal welfare issues?

Thanks,
I mean like scientific research on welfare of domestic rabbits ie how thier housing can affect welfare and do rabbits ever show signs of stereotypies (repetitive behaviour) like rocking, fur pulling etc. I'm doing a study for my degree.
Ive got lots of pet owner books on feeding/housing but the doenst seem to be much else out there-unlike dogs theres loads of studies and books on dogs!

do rabbits ever show signs of stereotypies (repetitive behaviour) like rocking, fur pulling etc.

Don't know about scientific papers but I've definitely seen this sort of behaviour in breeder rabbits kept in small cages! Maybe some practical visits to places might help?

There are journal articles:

Inventory of the behaviour of New Zealand White rabbits in laboratory cages
Debbie Gunn, David B. Morton
Applied Animal Behaviour Science 45 ( 1995) 277-292

That covers observered behaviour including stereotypies, fur chewing, bar chewing etc. broken down into time budgets

A behavioral comparison of New Zealand White rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) housed individually or in pairs in conventional laboratory cages
Ling-ru Chu, Joseph P. Garner, Joy A. Mench
Applied Animal Behaviour Science 85 (2004) 121–139

Also looks at the same types of behaviours and how they are effected by keeping rabbits in pairs

The effect of environmental enrichment on the behaviour of caged rabbit oryctolagus cuniculus/
L.T. Hansen), H. Berthelsen
Applied Animal Behaviour Science 682000.163–178

That looks at the effects on behaviour when a shelter is added to the cage

Behavioural effects of environmental enrichment for individually caged rabbits
Lena Lidfors
Applied Animal Behaviour Science 52 (1997) 157- 169

Adding hay in a water bottle, grass-cubes, two gnawing sticks or a box and the effects on behaviour

hth
Tam

Oooh they all sound really interesting - how did you find those Tam, was it by the power of google?

I've done a couple of uni distance learning courses - gives you access to loads off online journals. Didn't help much with getting homework done on time but loads of interesting stuff to read :lol:

thankyou tamsin, that looks brilliant!!!
Where did you do your distance learning? Im with chester unin and reaseheath.

You're welcome, they're interesting - some of it's a bit scientific for me though :oops: I haven't found anything on more pet type situations. It might be worth getting in touch with the Rabbit Welfare Association though as they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Exeter uni :)

Back