• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

SAD in rabbits?

toffee

Mama Doe
Do rabbits get Seasonal Affective Disorder? Prince seems to be very subdued recently. Eating and pooing ok but in the evening he tends to just hide under a chair for hours. Occasionally coming out to eat the Christmas tree and talk to the other buns. He wasn't like this before he was bonded with Melanie. Is it because he has a wife or because of winter? Or something else?

Do rabbits get Seasonal Affective Disorder? Prince seems to be very subdued recently. Eating and pooing ok but in the evening he tends to just hide under a chair for hours. Occasionally coming out to eat the Christmas tree and talk to the other buns. He wasn't like this before he was bonded with Melanie. Is it because he has a wife or because of winter? Or something else?

Eat the Christmas tree? :shock: Maybe that's what it is!

Eat the Christmas tree? :shock: Maybe that's what it is!

I'm trying to stop them and he's not as interested in it as his girlfriend. I will keep him well away to see if this is it, but he's eating and pooing normally.

They like to bite the branches off so the baubles fall down :roll: .

I'm trying to stop them and he's not as interested in it as his girlfriend. I will keep him well away to see if this is it, but he's eating and pooing normally.

They like to bite the branches off so the baubles fall down :roll: .

I'm sure that they are poisonous..

My bunnies have occasionally stolen the rat food [which contains varying amounts of 'bad' things for bunnies including meat] and more recently ate a bunch of flowers.. they still ate and pooed normally but it doesn't mean that it's ok for them if you see what I mean..

I have a rabbit with those exact symptoms..absolutely fine in every other way just spends most of his time in the hutch..still enjoys fusses, food etc...Not sure if it's SAD but definitely something but no physical signs..has been checked by a vet

I'm sure that they are poisonous..

My bunnies have occasionally stolen the rat food [which contains varying amounts of 'bad' things for bunnies including meat] and more recently ate a bunch of flowers.. they still ate and pooed normally but it doesn't mean that it's ok for them if you see what I mean..

You're probably right. I have been trying to find something online that says whether Christmas trees are bad and why but I can't find anything. It's a scotch fir if anyone knows of a website?

Rabbits are crepsular (awake during twilight at dawn dusk) so I think it's unlikely a reduction in sunlight is going to effect them. They would naturally sleep through it anyway :)

I'd suggest challenging them with new toys and things to do :)

As far as I know normal pine Christmas trees are fine as long as they haven't been sprayed with anything. My rabbits have a pine tree base from a christmas tree from couple of years ago - makes a great lookup post.

Tam

Rabbits are crepsular (awake during twilight at dawn dusk) so I think it's unlikely a reduction in sunlight is going to effect them. They would naturally sleep through it anyway :)

I'd suggest challenging them with new toys and things to do :)

As far as I know normal pine Christmas trees are fine as long as they haven't been sprayed with anything. My rabbits have a pine tree base from a christmas tree from couple of years ago - makes a great lookup post.

Tam

Well that's reassuring then. Mine is a bog standard tree from the garden centre - do you think this is ok? It said scotch fir or scotch pine? But this could be poetic licence?

It is frustrating, ours is a fraser fir and I have searched and searched the net to find out if they are poisonous to buns. I've found no information either way but have discovered more of a concern is perhaps any fertilisers or insecticides the tree has been treated with that may be toxic to animals. :?
Which makes sense so we are keeping a careful eye on our housebuns and the tree.
I was hoping to pop the tree on a little table so more up and out of reach but the tree was much taller than i thought when it arrived! :roll: :oops: :lol:
Glad they cant get SAD though, as I've been concerned about our outdoor bun as the weather has been so fowl the last couple of days they've spent 24/7 under their tarpualins.

Back