• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Puzzle's deplumming

Well, I haven't been on here much in a while, but for anyone who remembers me, I'm here in PA in the USA with a 2 year old female mini rex and a just 5 months male black Dutch. Yesterday, Puzzle, the male, jumped the four foot fence seperating him from Cookie, the female, when my daughter was in Cookie's run sweeping poos. I think he was trying to keep her away from 'his woman' and felt she was intruding on his 'desired one' and just was trying to 'defend his turf'.
When my daughter was cleaning Puzzle's run first, she must have moved a hiding place shoe box too close to the fence and forgotten to move it back and it was just enough added height to let him make it over!
Anyway--no harm done. She was right there to grab him before Cookie could be gotten to, and we closed off their runs except to let them out one at a time and are keeping them in 4 foot dog crates with 3 levels for lots of jumping around fun and exercise.
Tomorrow he goes in to the vets for his deplumming!! It will be so nice to finally bond Puzzle and Cookie, who already love each other from either side of the double fencing.
If all goes well, they will finally be housemates after the required 6-8 weeks wait for his hormones to subside.
It will so good to have him hopefully go back to being a nicely litter trained bunny. He has been so messy lately!
Anyone have any good advice?

Last edited:
Wow! You're training an Olympic high jumper??
Lucky you were there to prevent an accident!:oops:
You sound like you have everything under control.
His behaviour should change and calm down when he gets over his op. He obviously loves his other half to be so protective. Hopefully they should bond no probs.
Let us know how you get on.

The temps here have been in the teens with windchill making it seem like 10F. I'm just worried about him getting chilled on the long trips there and back. His carrier is very ventilated but I hope wrapping it in a blanket will not let him feel the cold. How else can I keep him warm? Afterwards he will be in the house, rather than the enclosed sunporch where the dog crates have been, for a day or so until he is ready to go back out.

Last edited:
Puzzle is back home!!! He came through surgery with flying colors! He is hopping around, drinking and munching hay and ate his evening pellets at an amazing speed! We were so worried and he is just fine! His poos are not going to win any contests today, but hopefully by tomorrow they will be back to normal size. Hurray!!!

Back