• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Megazorb Info

Missy

Warren Scout
Hi

I think quite a few of you use Megazorb can you tell me what it's like, does it look like wood shavings?
How absorbant is it, do you still change litter trays regularly or top tray up with more megazorb?

I use wooden cat litter pellets but Millie & Jack are big bunnies and even though their tray gets changed every other day it is quite whiffy I either need to use more cat litter which will be more expensive or find something else.
Will megazorb sort out the smell?

Nope, have you ever seen Carefresh? It's like that but smaller pieces - or if you've ever seen 100% paper cat litter, that's similar.
I wouldn't advise using normal cat litter though, I don't imagine the clay or silica would be good if the rabbit decided to eat bits (plus I'd think they'd accidentally ingest bits in grooming too)

I use megazorb, I really like it :D
It certainly stops a lot of the smells. I tend to put a layer of newspaper in her litter tray with a thin layer of megazorb on top and change it daily.
It looks kinda like polysyrene balls but a cardboardy colour, doesn't have the nicest smell either but it's not very potent :)

H'mm not sure about using if it is Millie is terrible for eating things especially paper/cardboard type stuff.
I think I've seen carefresh it was like a grey cardboard.

I like the wooden pellets but it's about £7 a bag and will only last just over a week if I use more :cry:

I use hemcore for my bunnies.

I didn't like meazorb, I found it a bit dusty and it also used to get dragged everywhere by the bunnies with long fur. I put paper in the litter tray first and then the hemcore, you do need the paper as any wee is drawn to the bottom but the top stays dry.
The litter trays don't smell at all.
I pay about £10 for a massive bale.

I've started using Aubiose (a hemp bedding, similar to Hemcore mentioned above but a different part of the plant) for the rats and will trial it in the bunny litter tray. It's sort of like shavings but not dusty at all and doesn't have the risks that woodshavings do with emitting phenols.

Didn't think of looking at Horse bedding. :oops:

Thanks for the info on Hemcore & Aubiose maybe worth trying that.
How big are the bags you get are they bigger than a 15kg bag of readigrass?

Do your buns not eat it at all and if they do is it safe?
Millie does tend to try eating most things usually just the once depending how tasty it is. :roll:

Had a quick look at the Aubiose one and for horses it mentioned dampening it down do you do this or just use it as it is?

I use megazorb. It's lovely and soft and looks a little like wood shavings but a big more clumpy. I also like it because it's very absorbant, seems to help with pongs and doesn't stick to the litter tray so I don't need to line with paper.

I use a laywer of hay on top to stop it being kicked around.

One thing you must not use is clumping/clay based cat litter. This can swell and cause nasty blockages in your bun if consumed.

Last edited:
I don't dampen it and haven't heard of anyone else who does. I think I've heard of Megazorb being dampened for horses too so guess it's a horsey thing to do!
They're big bales, I'll get a photo tonight - not seen the bags of Readigrass but I'd say they're a similar size to the large bales of shavings

Thanks I'll take the plunge and try some of the different ones and see what works best for me.

How long do you reckon these bags/bales Megazorb/ Hemp bedding etc.. last - a month?

Someone also suggested Easybed anyone use this?

When Jack wee's you can actually hear him, sounds like someone is running a tap :lol: :lol:
I think the smell is more noticable because they are in a smaller room now so after being in their overnight it really hits you. :shock:

I've started using Aubiose (a hemp bedding, similar to Hemcore mentioned above but a different part of the plant) for the rats and will trial it in the bunny litter tray. It's sort of like shavings but not dusty at all and doesn't have the risks that woodshavings do with emitting phenols.

Me to. I've been using Aubiose in the litter trays for a week now. So far I'm fairly pleased with it and it seems to work well.... I also use it for the hamster so its handy to have just one thing. Its good value too, I think it was £8 for a big bale and its not dusty, sort of like fine wood shavings. If you used a litter scoop it would probably last longer than mine does as I do throw the whole tray away and theres always a side thats not been used, but I only notice as I'm throwing. I didnt like carefresh, found it too lumpy and it goes soggy. Thumbs up for the Aubiose so far.

How long do you reckon these bags/bales Megazorb/ Hemp bedding etc.. last - a month?

Someone also suggested Easybed anyone use this?

When Jack wee's you can actually hear him, sounds like someone is running a tap :lol: :lol:
I think the smell is more noticable because they are in a smaller room now so after being in their overnight it really hits you. :shock:

I'm looking after 4 buns at the mo and change littler trays daily, it hasnt made much of a dent in the bale so I imagine its going to last me a good few weeks/months.

I enquired about Easibed at the time but a worker at the farm shop said it isnt as good for smaller animals, and is a bit less absorbant than Aubiose (dont know for sure tho) I think it was slightly more expensive too, if I remember.

One of my foster's wees like that... I've just got her using a corner litter pan, its a bit higher and catches more of the flow! Has Jack been neutered??? Un-neutered males wee definately smells worse than others.

Last edited:
one bag of megazorb has lasted two buns about 2 months and cost me £8.

All my buns seem to love my corner litter trays and I put a bowl of hay right next to it...but their bottoms are too big for it now.

I'm looking after 4 buns at the mo and change littler trays daily, it hasnt made much of a dent in the bale so I imagine its going to last me a good few weeks/months.

I enquired about Easibed at the time but a worker at the farm shop said it isnt as good for smaller animals, and is a bit less absorbant than Aubiose (dont know for sure tho) I think it was slightly more expensive too, if I remember.

One of my foster's wees like that... I've just got her using a corner litter pan, its a bit higher and catches more of the flow! Has Jack been neutered??? Un-neutered males wee definately smells worse than others.

Wow that's good if it's lasting so long, the cat litter is only lasting me a few weeks now.

Yeah they've both been done I think it's just coz they are big buns, Jack's the size of a cat and Millie is only a bit smaller.
They are fab for using the litter tray though :)

I'll ring the supplier next week and see which one they can get in for me.

Thanks everyone.

Where do you get megazorb from? is it nice and soft for sore hocks? also is it any good for indoor buns or is it going to get trailed all over the carpet?

I have just started to use Megazorb as my bunny has sore hocks due to urine scald. I got mine from a local horse stables and it was approx £6 for a very large bag which I think is cheap. I put newspaper in the litter tray and then megazorb on top and change it twice a day.

We use Aubiose here too. I find it great, it doesnt smell and doesn't get dragged around and lasts ages too. We use it for our 13 buns and our 2 hammies. I think we get ours for about £7.15 from titmuss for a massive bale. I'm very happy with it :D

Back