• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A fox just walked through my garden - at 4pm.

casu consulto

Mama Doe
Ooooh, bold little beastie. o_o;
And my cat? Let it walk right under his nose. If it was my female cat, she'd have chased it... she likes chasing foxes, alarmingly enough.

Very glad that the rabbits are not out in the garden. Not that they would be once it starts getting dark - or with this weather. Somehow I just never thought foxes would be out so early, it's sort of semi-dark but it still surprised me, for some reason... I went to tell the rabbits a scary fox had walked through their garden (they're both in the garage, in their small run) and Amber either didn't understand, or is very silly because she did a binky when I told her. :lol: Knowing Amber, she probably thought a 'fox' was a new kind of food... she likes eating anything and everything.

Anyone else have bold fox-beasties roaming their area recently?

I had a fox in my garden at 1pm on a saturday recently :shock:

I was so shocked, because I'd only ever seen one fox here since we moved in, and that was at night.

Amy

I see/hear them around here throughout the day. Lucky enough that I'm sort of out in the countryside and they're not as bold as 'town foxes' so don't venture near the garden and bolt at the sound of me tapping my nails on my window. Lovely animals to watch though :)

I'm in the north of Manchester, going up towards Oldham... ^^

I find them very interesting - despite the risk they pose to the bunnies. My sister says she sees them wandering the streets all the time... It's typical. She couldn't care less if she sees a fox, and here I am, thrilled if I even here of one being seen, but I'm lucky to see one once in a blue moon...

Last week I found a golf ball in our garden. We live near a golf course, but not close enough for a ball to fly into our garden. I suspect that a fox brought it. I also find big pieces of bone sometimes. Probably some people put their food waste into plastic bags instead of the proper recycling bin, and the foxes than shred the bags. Or someone has buried a corpse in their garden and the fox has found it. :shock: :D

I am so scared of seeing a fox in the garden! I'd never let the bunnies out there again! We're quite close to a country park and you can smell foxes when you walk down the footpath a couple of streets away, but i don't know if they venture as far as us? all the gardens are quite enclosed and we all have wheelie bins now. cats are the main animals i see :roll:

It's funny that about the golf ball... :shock: In our garden, we had a couple of small, plastic balls that somehow found their way there... Admittedly, one of our cats has a habit of stealing small children's toys and bringing them back, so she could have carried them there... But we make use of them, in summer, by washing them and letting the rabbits play with them... Some days, in the morning, they can be found randomly in the centre of the grass... Could be cats, could be foxes... I won't even go into the massacred squirrel we once found out there.

I'm appalled when I remember how i used to let my Bonnie-rabbit stay out there in her run until 9pm, when it was dark. :lol: I'm not sure if foxes are just more numerous here now, or bolder... for all I know, they could have been wandering past and staring in at her, I'd have been none the wiser... I'd never dream of leaving my rabbits out past even semi-darkness anymore.

I recently saw a fox staring into the hutch, just when it was getting dark. I chased it over the fence and the bunnies weren't too scared. I have to be careful, though, and never let the bunnies have free range of the garden. Foxes can be anywhere at any time of day, we even had them in cetral London. They move into the cities along the railway lines.

I am not sure if a cat can carry a ball in its mouth. A ping pong ball might be the biggest it can manage. So if you had some bigger sized balls in your garden, I think they were taken there by foxes. Someone on the forum once said that they used a ball to keep their pond free of ice, and something kept taking the ball from the pond and onto the lawn. I don't think herons play with balls. :D

Herons look far too dignified for ball-playing! :lol:

The balls that turn up in my garden are strange ones, though. They're the plastic ones primary schools often use for P.E. with lots of holes in...? My rabbit, Barney, loves them because he can pick them up with his teeth and fling them around in a macho way. I'm lucky in one sense, because even when the rabbits are not kept in the garage - as they are now, and over winter - they're in a back yard, and it's got high fences. I don't think foxes want to risk jumping in and risk feeling confined/trapped. But the run, when they can go outside, is on the grass... and I'm sure there's a fox pathway across the grass - sometimes there's poop out there. *shifty eyes*

If a fox is hungry, it will come into a backyard, too. I saw a photo of a fox walking past No.10 Downing Street. And one ended up in a shoe shop on Oxford Street. Jane lost a bunny to a fox that came into her kitchen. They don't fear humans much any more.
Guess we can be glad that we don't have bears in this country.

you are on the other side of manchester to me, but i suppose its good to remind me to be extra vigilant. ive never seen foxes near my house (old terraces with high adjoining back walls), but i have seen them around and about the large park which is not that far away

Ooooh, bold little beastie. o_o;
And my cat? Let it walk right under his nose. If it was my female cat, she'd have chased it... she likes chasing foxes, alarmingly enough.

Very glad that the rabbits are not out in the garden. Not that they would be once it starts getting dark - or with this weather. Somehow I just never thought foxes would be out so early, it's sort of semi-dark but it still surprised me, for some reason... I went to tell the rabbits a scary fox had walked through their garden (they're both in the garage, in their small run) and Amber either didn't understand, or is very silly because she did a binky when I told her. :lol: Knowing Amber, she probably thought a 'fox' was a new kind of food... she likes eating anything and everything.

Anyone else have bold fox-beasties roaming their area recently?

Oh no tell that fox not too come too middleton:lol: let it dare ive got 4 dogs on guard

Back