• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny weeing everywhere

lapin

Young Bun
I adopted a rabbit a few weeks ago, he’s a mini lop and about seven months old. He’s used a litter tray since before I got him, although he’s never been completely litter trained. Recently he’s started weeing everywhere. At first he weed in the two front corners of the cage, now it seems to be the two right hand corners. He does wee in his tray sometimes, so it’s not like he won’t use it, he just seems to see the whole cage as a toilet. I had him neutered a week ago, could this improve his litter training once his hormones settle down? I’ve now put a second litter tray in the cage to see if he just doesn’t like where I’ve put the first one but he’s already weed in a corner where there’s no tray. Is he just marking his territory, or has he not learnt to use the tray properly yet?

Also, he seems to be drinking quite a lot, although as I’ve only had him a few weeks, it’s hard to know what’s normal for him. Yesterday he drank about a litre, is this excessive for a mini lop? He’s very active, still eating his hay and waking me up in the night rattling the cage to come out!

I’d really appreciate any advice. It’s getting a bit stressful having to clean out the cage every day!

We have two mini lops. The buck (Neo) is very good with his litter try but the doe (sky) is the same as your rabbit. I nearly gave up already. She seems to pee just outside the litter tray. She uses the litter tray as a resting place. I think they do drink quite a lot. Ours drank about 1/2 a bottle a day but since we are also newbies, not sure whether that is normal..

To me a litre does sound like alot but it may just be him recovering from his op. I know with other animals it could be a sign of diabetes but I dont think it is common in rabbits, hopefully someone else will correct you on this.

Try using only one litter tray as he needs to know where the place for him to "go" is. You will need to persevere I'm afraid. Dont clean the tray out too much. Rub all his wee around the tray, pick any loose poops up and put them in the tray, if he wees outside his tray clean this up as soon as you can etc.

If you find he is still weeing in another corner after a week try moving the tray to that corner and repeat the above until he uses it.

The hormones will gradually be settling down from now on, reducing his need to mark everywhere in his cage, so yes, he will get better. Just have to wait :roll:

Good luck :D

Back