• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do I Panic Yet...?

foxyfaerie

Mama Doe
So Lucifer's had "funny" breathing for a few weeks now. "Funny" being the best way to describe how it started. At first it was just occasional loud panting;it seems to have gotten worse since she's been spayed (coincidence?) but tonight she sounded like an old squeaky teddy-bear.

I'm going to call and get a vet appointment for her tomorrow evening; but in the meantime does anyone know what this might be; or why?

Could be a respiratory tract infection, my Santa is a chronic snuffler and she sounds a bit like a squeaky teddy bear especially when she's eating. That may also tie in because that sort of thing is more likely to come on when the body is under stress e.g. because of another operation.

Fingers crossed it's just a one-off and can be solved!

Could be a respiratory tract infection, my Santa is a chronic snuffler and she sounds a bit like a squeaky teddy bear especially when she's eating.

Awwww, bless her!
Can't offer any advice - but hope all goes well at the vet.

So Lucifer's had "funny" breathing for a few weeks now. "Funny" being the best way to describe how it started. At first it was just occasional loud panting;it seems to have gotten worse since she's been spayed (coincidence?) but tonight she sounded like an old squeaky teddy-bear.

I'm going to call and get a vet appointment for her tomorrow evening; but in the meantime does anyone know what this might be; or why?

Oooh Fae was like this after she was spayed too, and sounds a little 'whispery' when she eats :shock: :shock:

Better get her booked into the vets :(

Let me know how you get on

The vet says everything's pretty much OK; she is breathing "harsher" than normal and was given a Baytril injection and we have oral Baytril to give her at home; and to go back if she gets no better.

It didn't improve her mood though; she's sitting in the litter tray trying her very best to hide! :lol: :lol:

Homoeopathic Herbs for bunnys

Coltsfoot - very good for chesty colds
Thyme - Good for chest complaints
Pennyroyal - This is good for lungs and dust complaints.

:rabbit2:

Back