• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worrying bunny behaviour =[

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
** This doesn't concern either Jamie, Kitt or Sapphire**

One of my friends last night phoned me at around 23:00pm saying that her bunny, Snuggles, wasn't well. She was going to pick me up, but instead brought the poor bunny round to mine - I was a bit annoyed because Kitt was only in the kitchen and, at this stage, I didn't know what was wrong with Snuggles.

Anyway, she put Snuggles on the floor and he appeared to flop to one side when he tried to walk... it's almost like his left hand side had given in completely and his head seemed to tilt to one side also. She lifted him up and rested him on her knees - this rabbit is one of the buns who hates being lifted up and is usually very scatty, but he just sunk in to her knee and laid there. To look at I'd say his head looked swollen and he seemed to be holding his back end up strangely. I looked through my bunny book and thought maybe paralysis of the rear end, or pasteurella or maybe E.C (as suggested by Kayj)... so I phoned the emergency vet and, seeing as Snuggles was eating like a hungry hippo, she advised to take him to the surgery first thing (my friend seemed a bit reluctant of this because she can't afford a big vet bill).

Anyhoo, I sent my friend away with some hay, some leaflets about Pet Plan and the vets card and asked her to stay in touch. This morning she text me to say that Snuggles was fine, running around as normal etc etc...

Can anyone explain this sudden change of behaviour? I'm still a bit concerned for him, he's not vaccinated or neutered yet (I've said he'll need to be).. he does have a great hutch which has been built for him (over 2 floors) and he has free run of the enclosed yard, but I'm concerned that he's not growing much.

xx

I would place my money on FRS or EC....but more likely FRS if he still had an appetite and was fine again today.

It could also have been a stroke.

Back