• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training habits

vikkia1234

Warren Scout
Hiya All,

I have a 4 month old bunny who is perfectly litter trained outside his hutch, which i am very grateful for. However he seems to pee all over the place when he is inside his hutch, this makes it much harder for me to clean.

I have put more than one litter tray inside his hutch but he just moves them out the way or just decides to pee wherever the tray is not :cry: , does anybody have any advice on how to crack this habit? I intend on getting him neatured after xmas so hoping that may help, but i just cant understand how he is so brilliantly disiplined when he is out, but not when he is inside.

P.s does anybody know if a good cleaner/ deoderiser for smelly rabbit pee?

Neutering will defo help.

In Arnie's room I have velcroed the tray to the floor, he doesnt like this as he cant move it :lol:

Works for me though and he always uses it he even uses one side for poops and one for wees.

Have you tried using just one litter tray but smearing lots of wee and putting a few poops in it? You can get the velcro squares in WH SMiths.

Good luck anyway.

P.S if he is in a wooden hutch try lining it with tiles or lino so that the smelly pee doesnt soak in ;)

Definately worth a go before neuter, Arnie was always quite good before the neuter but since he's been done he refuses to even poop anywhere but the tray :D

Thanks Vicki, when would you say would be the best time to get him neutered would be?

I have heard 6 months but i didnt want to wait that long incase he looses his litter habits he already has, and starts spraying around the house as well as his hutch, not a nice thought! :lol:

In the meantime, im gonna get down to WH smith and get some velcro for his tray!

I got Arnie when he was 7 months and had him neutered about 1 month after.

Most people would get their bucks done at around 5/6 months. It really depends on your circumstances, find a really good vet if you haven't already. Also it will be important to keep him inside for one night after the GA (especially if winter). The males op isn't as serious as the females but still a good idea to keep an eye on him however once he is back to his usual self he should be OK back in his hutch with a snuggle safe.

If you are able to find a good vet and keep him inside I would get him done asap to put your mind at rest and prevent him from becoming hormonal :roll:

Thank you, i think i'll get him done sooner rather than later then ( before he turns into a little menace!) He is a house bunny so he will be nice and warm inside anyway. Thanks again for the advice

Aww thats good. Defo get him done soon then :D

Good luck with it all and keep us all updated.

P.S My mum is from High wycombe :wave: :lol:

My boys were neutered at 4 months, as they were starting to mount each other and spray everywhere! They can be done as soon as their testicles descend!

Sooner rather than later I say!

:lol: I'd personally give up until after he's been done, Charlie was brilliant up until the 2-3 weeks before he was done (I had him done at 5 months) then he decided he was going to be naughty and pee next to his tray instead. Once he'd been neutered he was and still is brilliant with his litter trays- bless him.

Domino is 13 weeks and I was surprised how good he was with his litter tray. There have been a few accidents, which is to be expected, and alot of it is territorial marking. I am expecting his good toilet habits to go straight out the window once puberty kicks in. Im hoping theres not going to be too much spraying (the smell is awful) but as someone has already said, the sooner the better with bucks!!

Thank you all!

Vicki Its a small world!

Yesterday i put his litter tray back in his hutch and put some pee and poos from his other tray he uses outside his hutch, and lo and behold hes been using it! Thanks for the advice, still need to get some velcro though to stop him moving it around! Im still expecting him to get worse as he gets older, but im just thankful at the moment he does not pee and poo on the carpet, he seems to know that his hutch is his territory and the carpet is ours! (although this does not stop him chewing it!) Im gonna get on the phone today and book him in for the snip - poor Guiness!

The velcro definately helps. Arnie's litter tray used to be in another corner that he liked digging the carpet up in so he would wait until I left the room, move the litter tray and then destroy my carpet :shock:

I've now changed his room around a bit but he cant move the tray anymore so has now given up trying.

I'm glad Guiness has been using his tray, I dont let any poops stay on the carpet for long so as soon as you see he has had an accident put it straight in his litter tray. Same as a wee, soak it up with kitchen towel and put it in his tray. It sounds like he is doing really well though.

I'm hoping Kira's litter habits will improve as soon as she has recovered from her spay, at the moment she is peeing everywhere but I suppose it cant be helped :?

Ha ha oh no, the velcro is definatley worth investing in then! They are so michevious you have got to love them! :lol:

I had a shock at the begginning of the week, got up to use the loo in the middle of the night and found Guinness sat in my bathroom! The screw on the latch had come loose and dropped down! Have no idea how long he was out for but luckily the only thing he got his teeth into was my laundry basket! I was actually dead impressed with him! Even so I have made sure he wont be getting out again! :no:

What type of rabbits do you have?

Oh dear poor Kira, hope she gets better soon :)

Arnie is a Dwarf lop and Kira is a mini lop, hoping they will fall in love soon. :roll:

I find that if they do something naughty I cant stay mad at them for long, they just look at me with their big eyes and I give in lol :lol:

White vinegar mixed with water is fab at getting rid of odours. I've made a mix of it in a spray bottle for cleaning the hutch.

There are so many things on the internet about how to litter train them, just type it in on google and you should find a mound of information, luckily my rabbit has always used his litter box in the house without any training, but in his hutch it hasnt been so successful!:wave:

i have heard that white vinegar stops them chewing? Is that true? Guinness has started attacking the carpet! If my landlord finds out im dead!

I would imagine it would stop them chewing but not if they are determined.

You could also put a pot of bicarb of soda in his hutch (when he's out of it for a few hours) as that is meant to soak up all the odours :)

Back