• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trooper's sore back - Update: mites!

Pepsi's People

Alpha Buck
Feeding him tonight I noticed some fur was missing on his back. When I brushed the surrounding fur back this is what I discovered

DSC01688.jpg

I'm wondering if he's grazed it on the underside of the hutch where he and Lillie have been gnawing the underframe. It's quite rough in places, so I had better get sanding the wood smooth again.
The wound is quite dry and isn't bleeding, athough it looks like there may be some tiny wood splinters in the skin. I thought about appying some saline solution but decided against it. He's fine otherwise. I will take him to the vets tomorrow to be checked out.
Does this sound ok?

Mike

Last edited:
Looks more like a reaction to an injection/vaccination to me :?
Has he been vaccinated recently or maybe had a shot of Baytril?

There is a bit of white flakey skin so Cheyletiella mites maybe :?

Janex

He had his VHD 4 weeks ago so maybe. I think the whiteness is due to the lighting rather than the condition of his skin. This was the only photo that wasn't blurred :roll:
I just hope the rabbit savvy vet is on today.

Mike

Took Trooper to the vets tonight and it seems he has some uninvited guests - Mites!
He's had an injection of Ivermectin and needs a follow up treatment applied to his neck . I had to go back afterwards with Lillie in case she's got them as well.
Even got to see the little devils wriggling around under the vets' microscope :lol:

Mike

Hope hes ok mike,ant idea where he got them from,rick
According to the reference Jane posted they pass from animal to animal (including people) on contact & can survive several days without a host animal, so the possibilities are endless.

Do you think I should worry about my itchy ankles :shock: :lol:

Mike

Aww Ive got to take my bun back next week to have a check to see if she has nmites (I thought hewr neck was sore b/c her nails were a little long.
She's a white bun so we cant find anything but the skin looks inflamed.:roll:

They pass to Humans? :oops: how can you irradicate them after the buns have had their jab?

Aww Ive got to take my bun back next week to have a check to see if she has nmites (I thought hewr neck was sore b/c her nails were a little long.
She's a white bun so we cant find anything but the skin looks inflamed.:roll:

They pass to Humans? :oops: how can you irradicate them after the buns have had their jab?

My vet pulled sellotape gently across his fur to catch them and then looked at it under a microscope. The jab is to kill any live ones and then some drops to apply in 2 & 4 weeks (I think - not got them yet) in case any eggs hatch. I was also given an aerosol to spray in their accomodation (with the buns safely excluded for several hours). He assured me they can't survive long on people but may cause a rash if you have sensitive skin.

Mike

Make darn sure to clean their cage and anywhere they go like crazy. Disinfect the whole area with good cleaners. YTou'll want to kill any living mites. If not it will be a never ending nightmare.

Back