• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

need urgent help

*Bex*

Mama Doe
I noticed yesterday flopsy didnt seem to have used her littertray a lot since sunday. She lives with rory so it was hard to tell if she had just used his tray instead so tonight i cleaned them and kept rory in with me and put flopsy back.
She did a little wee when she went in and since then she has pooed but only tiny ones smaller than pea size. Im worried. Should i get her to the emergency vet tongiht?? I dont want to waste their time i have only had bunnies for 6 months so im not sure what to do

If she is still pooing and eating and moving about as normal then thats good. The fact they are smaller than usual is a little worrying.. has she had anything different in her diet lately? If you normally give them pellets this evening it might be worth just giving them hay/dried grass that she will eat cos that may help if there is a blockage. Are they moulting? If so it could be due to excess hair in their stomachs. If she stops pooing or eating or doesnt want to hop around then id get her to the vets. ;)

It sounds like a sign of a poorly tum and I really woudlnt worry about being OTT with buns, it really is important to get it sorted or be told there is nothing wrong rather than leave it....

Has Flopsy had a change in diet at all? Is she eating hay as normal? drinking water? Can you tempt her with anything by way of hay or grass to stabilise her tum since the poos seem to be comign out so thats a good start. And increase hay in place of pellets.
I once had the same thing with Charlie cos he was eating too many pellets and ignoring the hay. Ended up taking him the vets tho he didnt seem too bad and they had to give him water injectinos to rehydrate and some probiotic to stabilise the gut. Had a bti of a struggle gettgin to eat mainly hay but he got there and now only have pellets sparinlgy or as a treat.

Sometimes they do have a mix of 'normal' and mushy poos tho usually the mushy poos are the cecotrophs that they decide not to eat (look liek a small bunch of grapes - description just in case)... is that what you have found or is is just small irregular size/shape poos?

If it doenst get back to normal wihtin the hour then i'd suggest a trip to the vets.. maybe book one in anyway (you can alwasy cancel) but it really is worth being over cautious with buns tums and poos.

Let us know how she is doing :D

Last edited:
She is acting normal eating hopping etc. They weren't cecals that i found just really small poos about quarter of the normal size. There didnt seem to be much wee in her litter tray either when i cleaned it tonight.
I have been away for 2 weeks but my parents say she was fine. She hasn't had any change to her diet apart from my mum being a bit over generous with apple which i told her not to!
The water is being drank, but i cant tell if she is drinking at as she shares with Rory but i have seen her eat as i was feeding them parsley last night and i saw her eating hay and pellets.
The vet will be closed now but they have an emergency service...

Are they moulting? If so it could be due to excess hair in their stomachs.

Good point Dideen!!!

A small cube of fresh pineapple (approx 1cm) helps with fur digestion/breakdown. But in moderation (I give to mine every 2-3 days in moutling season) esp if dodgy tum. Tho NOT pineapple juice cos the chemical that works is broken down by the time it gets the carton!!

Neither of them are moulting. Should i try the pineapple and if she is no better tomorrow take her or should i take her tonight? I dont want to feel like im wasting their time when it is emergency appointments now although i see her as being an emergency cos i dont want my baby to be ill :cry:

Aw maybe she was missing her mummy :D

Apple if gievnt oo much is not very good for them Its sweet and just liek with us too mch sugar will dehydrate... can you separate her for an hour and give plenty of hay and water and monitor the 'output'.

I really would urge a trip to the vets if she is not back to her normal self very soon.

Also gettign her to run about (annoy her - cruel but kind in this case) cos that will get her insides moving. Can you massage her tummy too to help the movement? gentle circular motions over the side of the tummy and run your hands down her sides etc... I did this Charlie adn could actually feel the poos :shock:

I have 'over-reacted' on many occassions and have not regreted it.

Tummy problems can escalate very quickly (within hours really) and if it were me I would take mine to the vets ..... out of hours fee V very poorly bunny hmmm

Try lots of greens soaked in water for a while but dont leave it too long if things dont improve drastically and fast... If poos stop altogether after that then really do think about going to the vet...

I know i rarely give them apple and i told my parents not too but there isn't much i can do now :roll:
She is in her cage with masses of tim hay Rory is indoors with us so i know what is in the cage has come from her.
I feel bad for my mum and dad cos they looked after them so carefully for me and i think my mum is worried this has been caused by her feeding them a piece of apple or 2 every day.
If this were you, would you phone the emergency vet? I need reassurance im doing the right thing cos i think my boyfriend thinks im overreacting :?
I appreciate all your help and quick replies!

As you say what is done is done and we'll al been there - believe me!!! Their little eyes just scream 'I WANT MORE!!!' worse than dogs for begging :lol:

If it were me I would go but I dont know exacty what you do about your bun at teh mo, only you can decide lovely.. my BF has thought I was a nutter on many occassions :lol: but think what they'd think if you didnt overreact and smthn did happen?? Not that i'm saying it will but your BF will survive your OTT state .. my BF is still learning about how delicate buns are and now understands why I do what I do. Its all part and parcel of being bunny mums and dads (or shoudl that be barny mums and dads lol)

How is she doing now? Any poos?

No more poos just 4 little ones from before and no more wee either. She has been in the cage over an hour on her own now. Brought her in now shes here on my knee she seems pretty alert but is making no effort to get down which is a bit weird normally she is off like a rocket she isnt the type to sit and be petted for long! Not sure if that is cos this is a different room than she is used to.
I've been rubbing her tummy she seems in no discomfort...my poor little girl :(

It could be that she is scannign her surroundings but it could be because of her tummy. They are prey animals and as such hide any discomfort they are in for their survival (weakness is not a good sign to predators)...also if they are in a strange place they tend to poo everywhere to mark territory...
If she has not done anything for an hour then that may be your answer.

She may also know that you are trying to help with the tummy rubs and so is letting you. Charlie was liek that but as soon as he felt a bit better he was off!! Buns are very sensitive abotu you touching anything below their knecks too so the fact that she is letting oyu may be another sign.

I woudl really recommend you do not leave her liek this overnight. Even if she is still there in teh morning (dont want to scare you but it can happen that quick) then there gets a point where its too far to reverse too.

I'll see if I cna find some more info onteh net for oyu...

I've put her down in my room with rory and she is hopping about. Im phoning the vet to see what they say

I spoke to the vet he seems to think she will be ok til tomorrow but im to bring her in tomorrow.
She is hopping about in my room with rory. Im going to go to the shop and get her some pineapple and try her with a bit. I would have prefered to have her looked at but the vet said it should be ok til tomorrow - i've seen him before and he always seems knowledgeable with the rabbits although i dont think he is too keen on flopsy cos she gouged a hole in his arm once :lol: i hope she'll be ok

Wel you must go with your instincts... I have given you as much advice as I can with the information I have.

If you arent going to the vets tonight then get her to eat as much hay as possible, as much water as possible and wetted greens and dont be too far from her side.

Think the last point to note is that only when a bunny is very unwell will you see it.

I have taken my bunnies to the vet if they so much as look at me funny and i've never been wrong (not sure if that is fortunate or unfortunate :lol: always hope its my imagination).

I really hope she gets better very soon :D
Let us know how she is doing :D

My mum sat with them when i went to the shop to get pineapple and i left them with a big bowl of tim hay which is now scattered across my floor.
I come back and there is 5 big poos where flopsy was sat :D
Still, im giving her some pineapple and taking her to the vet tomorrow

PS if they dont take to the pineapple straight away then squeeze some into some water, that should do the trick ;)
(3 out of 4 of mine love the chunks, the other looks at me like im mad!! :lol: )

They have no interest in the pineapple! I tried Rory with some too. SHould i squeeze some into their water bottle?

Back