• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering help

hondasan

New Kit
My husband and I just got 2 pet rabbits (Neo and sky) recently and we have the male rabbit neutered last Friday. However, it seems that he's bitten the glue and there are signs of infection. We brought him to the vet and she injected painkillers and antibiotics. We have also been given some baytril to feed him in the next couple of days. Neo was also given an elizabethan collar to wear but it seems to be distressing him, so we took it off. I am just wondering whether anyone has had the same experience and if yes, what we should do to make him less stressful. We are both newbie and any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

:wave: I am not sure but there are lots of people on here with loads of experience and advice and am sure they will be along soon to help.

I had a rabbit try to chew stitches before. Unfortunately the only way to stop them doing it is put the collar on for a few days. Just make sure he can reach his food an water. I think I had Leon's on for 4 days before taking it off and I gave him some breaks during the day where I could watch him to make sure he wasn't chewing.

I agree with Toffee to keep it on but have breaks where it is off when you can watch him.
The hard thing is that they still need to eat their cecotrophs ('special' poos :shock: ) so the collar would seem to restrict this which isnt too good.
But .... he does need to let it heal.

Does anyone know of anything that can be put on the area to deter him from biting at the glue and stitiches?

Charlies one sde swole up loads when he was healing and he had to have more antibiotics (bless him) but he was still into everything!! :lol: jumping on the settee etc... Maybe you can distract him with other items/favs/food??

Hope he gets better soon :D

Thanks for replying. We realised that the collar is far too big for Neo and cut it down from 10cm to 6 cm. Otherwise, he can't even hop without hitting the floor. He seems more comfortable with his collar on now.

Back