• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Confusing vet visit...

Rice

Mama Doe
So I finally got Alfred to the vet to have his gunky eyes looked at. I was trying out a new vet because the one I have been using is soo far away, I needed someone I could take the buns to in an emergency. So the vet today really seemed to know what he was talking about when it came to bunnies. He asked really good questions, I thought, about Alfred but I don't know how I feel about what he told me at the end...

He told me not to do anything about his eyes, that he thought a little gunk in the eye as long as there was no sneezing or nasal discharge was ok. And then he told me that alfalfa pellets should be 70% of my bunnies diets... :? :?

Should I take him to another vet and get a second opinion??? I'm kinda confused since I've heard very different things from people on here...

:? Did he look in his mouth at all? Eye's can be effected by teeth root growth but that won't necessarily cause nose issues too.

I'm sure you already know that the majority of a rabbits diet should be hay :D

I don't even think he looked in Alfred's mouth at all! He said if his teeth were hurting then it would hurt him when you pet him and stuff... :roll: He seemed so knowledgeable in the beginning...

And I honestly had a hard time not correcting him about the hay thing when he said it. Although maybe I should have...

Although we'd like to think they do vets don't know everything about every animal so I do think it's good to interact with them when you take your rabbit along. Chatting about the % of hay to pellet diet and sharing knowledge is a good thing and you can ask him to look at your rabbits teeth and see what he comes up with. Good vets are hard to come by, especially for rabbits, I was lucky I was recommended mine but I still had a few visits and chats before I decided to commit to them so revisiting him and talking about a few different aspects of rabbit health might be worth it.

I would defo go to another vet - i thought checking teeth when buns have weepy eyes was bog standard basic stuff so not a good sign!

I thought it was standard too! I'm just kinda bummed because this vet was so close to my house and I was really hoping he was good! The receptionist even told me he had rabbits himself so you would think he would want to learn more about them... :roll:

My vet checked wallace's teeth when she had conjunctivitis. I think a different vet maybe - you don't want to be educating your vet every time something goes wrong

Back