• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

moisturiser for bunnies

racheld69

Mama Doe
Hi - does anyone know a safe moisturiser for bunnies dry skin? (Barney's hocks are healing but have dry cracked skin on so wondered if there was a really good moisturiser i could put on there before he goes to bed)?

We used to use Sudacrem on Molly's hocks when they were sore (as recommended by our vet) and it seemed to do the trick. She never really seemed that bothered about licking it off ... perhaps it doesn't taste too nice?? (even tho it smells gorgeous! :lol:)

Not too sure what to use but wanted to suggest it goes on in the day when they are a bit sleepier and he may ignore it more and not lick it all off Or just sit and rub it in for a while when you have 10-20 mins and he is patient (bribe with treat in one hand :D)

Found this link
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-2/foot-problems.html

thanks for link - interesting about tea bags! I did rub the cream in and held him like a baby for 10 mins tonight to try and get some to be absorbed before it gets licked off. not very impressed but treats after helped him forget! Good idea about when sleepier - will try that tomorrow.

We used to use Sudacrem on Molly's hocks when they were sore (as recommended by our vet) and it seemed to do the trick. She never really seemed that bothered about licking it off ... perhaps it doesn't taste too nice?? (even tho it smells gorgeous! :lol:)

I might persevere with sudocrem for a bit then and try rubbbing it in lots - as Barney does unfortunately lick it off.:roll:

Last edited:
I started to put Sudocrem on my bunny but was concerned that he was licking it so I started to use Vaseline. Is Sudocrem OK if they lick it off, it does say for external use only and I don't want him to get sick!

KY jelly also makes a good lubricating moisturiser.
(dont look at me like that...;) it was my vet who recomended this.)

Back