• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns having access to runs 24/7?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry more hutch questions :oops: :lol:

Just trying to sort out exactly what I am going to do :D I want to make sure I have everything sorted incase Buu and Beau dont get on. I have decided to try them again at christmas but if its still the same they will remain single buns until I am able to get them each a friend.

So I am just wondering what people think about having buns in hutches that arent attached to runs?

I am thinking of possibly getting a double story hutch. At the moment they have access to their runs all the time, but if they have to live seperatly there isnt enough space for two hutches with runs on the patio :( And having a hutch on the grass isnt going to happen because that part of the garden is so uneven it would just be wobbling about all the time :lol:

This is the type of hutch I am thinking of :D

http://www.rehutches.com/imagepages/doublehutch04.htm

If I did this I would have runs on the grass for daytime, just havent figured out whats going to happen in bad weather :?

The only thing that concerns me is not being able to get in and out of the hutch whenever they want to :?

Benny's got a 2x5 hutch over run from happyhutch (where the run is also 2x5 so like a double but cheaper) - it's plenty big enough, unlike the 2x4 hutch over run that Maa has (bought for nethie Tia originally :roll: )

I personally dont see the problem in runs not being joined to hutches provided they still get there daily quota of exercise.

I dont like the idea of 24/7 access anyway.

They would still get out the hutch each day. They are out the whole time I am home and while im at work once the weather gets better they can be put into secure runs to have a play and excercise :D

I dont mind 24 hour access here because we dont have the worry of foxes and our garden is secure with high locked gates and high fences

i agree with sooz, so long as there is a small run attached. we don't all have the space to accomodate a whopping great run. a double storey should be fine so long as they have a daily run round somewhere shouldn't it?

The run wont be attached though, it will be on the other side of the garden :( They will be shut in the hutch unless I put them in the run :(

Edit and when I say double story I mean Buu will have one hutch and Beau the other, they wont have both parts if they dont get on with each other

I rehomed a baby rescue bun last year who lived with his partner in a converted playhouse. A few months ago a fox worked the roof off and got to both of them.

Never ever underestimate what a desperate animal will do for a meal, I know they can attack in day time too but thay are much more persistent under cover of darkness :cry: :cry:

I rehomed a baby rescue bun last year who lived with his partner in a converted playhouse. A few months ago a fox worked the roof off and got to both of them.

Never ever underestimate what a desperate animal will do for a meal, I know they can attack in day time too but thay are much more persistent under cover of darkness :cry: :cry:

Im not underestimating what a fox can do, there are no foxes in Jersey full stop. We dont have them here

Im not underestimating what a fox can do, there are no foxes in Jersey full stop. We dont have them here

It wasn't meant as a criticism, sorry, I worried about that after I posted it but I thought you would see that I didn't mean it like that :oops:

No foxes? Really? Lucky you. I certainly wouldn't worry so much then but as i said before I dont think 24/7 access is a necessity if you are prepared to move them between hutch and run.

Oh no I didnt think it was critisism :lol: Sorry should have put a smile after that, im well tired today and just not thinking :lol:

Just thought I would mention it because I had put its not a worry without saying why and didnt want anyone else to think I wasnt concerned about what they can do :lol:

Yep we are very lucky, I dont think I could handle having outdoor buns if I did live on the mainland :shock:

They would spend a lot of time in the run with a shelter of some kind, and they often spend the day in the house while im at work anyway so that would probably continue :D Think I will do that then :D And if they get on even better and the set up they have no can stay where it is :lol:

My preference is for hutches to be attached to runs - even if the owner prefers to shut the occupants into the hutch part at night. Buns instinctively feel much safer and relaxed if the territory is familiar to them so I think it's better for them to remain in one place with familiar entrances, exits and bolt holes which they can still access from the run.

Mine are all over the place all the time :shock: :lol: Buu slept in my bed last night because it was so windy and Beau was in the cats bed :D They are all relaxed all the time and familiar with the whole house and garden.

There just isnt the room for two hutches with runs attached on the patio area. They have their seperate set ups at the moment but its not my garden and my mum will definetly want to put her garden table back out there.

I am still looking for somewhere to live and hopefully will find somewhere soon though

Mine have the run attached too the playhouse but i lock them up at night ,I dont like the idea of them being out when im in bed:D

I prefer a run attached to a hutch, mine used to spend all of their time in the run part of the hutch - I used to put plastic sheeting over the top so they were sheltered from the rain.

They now live in a 6x5 shed with a mesh door (no run attached as no room either side) and they are very happy - although I guarantee if there was a run attached they would sit in that more than the shed.

Thanks guys :D Ryedale hutches are getting me a quote on postage :D :D :D

I may be getting one with a run attached now but to be honest it depends how much the postage is going to come too :lol:

Ryedale are excellent hun. They made my double whopper 6ft, 2ft high each level for me. Hope the postage quote is good for you. They are worth the money :D

I know hun they look great :D I was going to ask them if they could do 2ft high for me :lol: I have just emailed and asked if there is any chance they could send it flat packed because one thing I am concerned about is it getting broken on the way here :? My happyhutches had been bashed about loads when they arrived

Back